Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wound up diff?????

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2004, 08:17 AM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wound up diff?????

I have heard that obviously being a 4 wheel drive that it is possible to cause some damage to the diff/s if one or two wheels spin more than the others, is this true?? My reason for asking is that the MOT is coming up soon and when they test the rear brakes my concern is that it may get damaged.

Also, just one last one to add, when i've been in the mud before (very rarely) one of my wheels can sometimes end up spinning more than some of the others, will this cause damage also???

Many thanks for any help.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:36 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Slip between wheels during day to day driving, even on mud, etc. is fine. That's what the diffs are there for.

However on your MoT they should NOT put it on rollers to test the brakes, this can damage the diffs as the speed differential between the front and rear wheels is too great . Make sure the MoT tester knows it is permenant 4wd. The should use a device which sits in the passenger footwell to check the brakes (I'm sure someone will be along the correct technical term ), they need to take it for a little drive to test. It was just round the car park on my last MoT.
Old 15 June 2004, 01:00 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Will give that a mention i think!!

Thats good to hear though that one or two wheels spinning is ok. Out of interest, is it ok for that as the engine is driving it?, Rather than it being pulled by rollers??

Cheers,