Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Put my mind at rest...

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2004, 11:54 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Put my mind at rest...

... Right... since the warmer weather has turned up... been having alittle bother getting from 4th gear to 5th gear... now really at any thing less than 70mph... the gear change from 4th to 5th is sweet... get it up to 90mph ish then change from 4th to 5th and its alittle on the rough side... Been down ABP and it's in for a road test tommorrow...
He said for me to find out what gear oil was in it... says in me history its EP-90... which he says is to thick... Now this is whats been done by previous owner...
Would the thicker oil be the reason for why I'm experiencing these problems???
To have all the diff and gearbox oil changed is gonna cost me around £90 quid... but is this gonna cure it??? please help me put my mind at rest... as its only just started to do this... the car is a MY00 UK Turbo 2000... with 45K on the clock...
Old 14 June 2004, 07:31 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it doesn't cure it, its been a lot cheaper than replacing the synchro or gearset itself........

If its OK changing up at lower speeds why not continue that, as no doubt you'll be red lining at 90 in 3rd & your peak power will be around 6100 rpm...
Old 14 June 2004, 07:18 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Question

Its been in today to be checked... its bad news... needs a syncro ring in 5th gear... ABP Motorsport will change the box for £200 quid... whats the repair gonna cost or a new/ re-con box gonna cost... and who do I get/ send it too for repair or replacement...?
Please help... i've now gotta doulbe de-clutch to get in 5th safely...!
Old 15 June 2004, 11:45 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scoobyslammed,
I would shop around as ABP can be expensive & i don't recommend them as there work was shocking on my Bro's car to the point where solictors were involved

Dean

Oh ye, forgot to say , Mine is doing exactly the same
Old 16 June 2004, 06:59 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

... Cheers for advise... I've heard good and bad about them... they had mine in a couple of months ago for full 45k service... and I was well please with there service, and the way the car was looked after... and I don't really wanna travel loadsa miles to get this sorted if I can...
So can anyone help me or put me in contact with someone that can repair my gearbox... / exchange it... and what sorta price i'm I looking at...
Do I consider a 2nd hand box...? bit dubious bout a 2nd hand one cause mines only done 45k and I don't do much mileage in it, and don't think theres much chance of finding a gooden... It hardly goes outta town in the week...
The car's driving fine at the moment... just being pickie really... as the 5th gear syncro is only just starting to go... think theres plenty of miles left in it but i'd like to have it sorted...!