Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

One for API DAVID.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 08:47 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy One for API DAVID.....

Dave...Could you please tell me why,My tappets clatter when the engines hot,Thay are really quiet,For the first 10 mins of running,The car is a 95 sti type ra....I have just changed the engine oil & filter(With oil filter topped up to brim and crank sensor removed till oil pressure light extinguished)...This started after putting in a mild engine flush,(just the little 500ml type)And draining the old oil out after approx 15 mins.
It was quiet beforehand..The oil i have just changed for is millers 10w/60 full synthetic,And it sounds slightly worse with this oil in...Could i have some muck in the lifters thats stubborn to remove....Its deffinately the camshaft area...With wooden listening stick...The further you go to the centre of the engine the quieter it gets....Sometimes it goes then comes back whilst stood idling.....Thank you.
Old 10 June 2004, 12:05 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX STI Type RA.
Dave...Could you please tell me why,My tappets clatter when the engines hot,Thay are really quiet,For the first 10 mins of running,The car is a 95 sti type ra....I have just changed the engine oil & filter(With oil filter topped up to brim and crank sensor removed till oil pressure light extinguished)...This started after putting in a mild engine flush,(just the little 500ml type)And draining the old oil out after approx 15 mins.
It was quiet beforehand..The oil i have just changed for is millers 10w/60 full synthetic,And it sounds slightly worse with this oil in...Could i have some muck in the lifters thats stubborn to remove....Its deffinately the camshaft area...With wooden listening stick...The further you go to the centre of the engine the quieter it gets....Sometimes it goes then comes back whilst stood idling.....Thank you.
That sort of depends, The 95 RA might have hydraulic tappets and it might have shimmed tappets a la STi Version 2; but they change during that year and it also depends upon whether the engine is original to the car.

If it is hydraulic then thats an easy one. Either replace the hydraulics as a set for NEW or, drain off a litre of engine oil - I know it is expensive - and replace with half a litre of ATF transmission fluid, Run for 100 miles drain and replace with new filter and new Millers. That normally fixes it.

If it shimmed tappets, then it's another problem entirely and we'd have to physically have it here for a look see.

keep me informed of progress if you want.

David API
Old 10 June 2004, 06:32 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
That sort of depends, The 95 RA might have hydraulic tappets and it might have shimmed tappets a la STi Version 2; but they change during that year and it also depends upon whether the engine is original to the car.

If it is hydraulic then thats an easy one. Either replace the hydraulics as a set for NEW or, drain off a litre of engine oil - I know it is expensive - and replace with half a litre of ATF transmission fluid, Run for 100 miles drain and replace with new filter and new Millers. That normally fixes it.

If it shimmed tappets, then it's another problem entirely and we'd have to physically have it here for a look see.

keep me informed of progress if you want.

David API

Thanks David....
Old 10 June 2004, 07:35 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Let me know how you get on with David's idea, as I have the same problem with my sti ra v-ltd 96. Oh yes mine has Hydraulic's.
Old 10 June 2004, 11:12 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matscooby
Let me know how you get on with David's idea, as I have the same problem with my sti ra v-ltd 96. Oh yes mine has Hydraulic's.
Will Do......
Old 11 June 2004, 09:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by matscooby
It's not an idea, it's a proven additive. Some years back when Legacy's were rattling there brains out every morning, someone at Subaru contacted an Australian company who marketed an engine oil additive called Superoo [ gettit, Australia, Subaru ] Anyway it worked, so we bought some and had it analysed by our oil providers. The answer was ' straight ATF, nothing but '

So we tried it and the system worked a treat.

Oh!, and Superoo was £28.00 plus VAT a bottle [@ 1/4 litre ] !! ATF is about 1/2 that for a gallon.........

David API
Old 11 June 2004, 06:44 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

[QUOTE=APIDavid]It's not an idea, it's a proven additive.

I didn't know this was a proven thing, I wasn't implying that you didn't know and sort of guessing.

If I did then I do apologise.
Old 11 June 2004, 07:18 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

[QUOTE=matscooby]
It's not an idea, it's a proven additive.

I didn't know this was a proven thing, I wasn't implying that you didn't know and sort of guessing.

If I did then I do apologise.
No offence taken and no harm done! I'm cool .

I thought it best to clarify, as a previous scoobynetter poo-pooed it out of hand once before. In general flushing oil in a Subaru is a no-no, it will cause harm. But in this quantity it's OK.

David API
Old 12 June 2004, 08:18 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Question

David ,
I have a wrx 95/96 ra and also have the same problem with my tappets , i have some castrol dextron 3 that i use for my power steering would this be alright to use in the oil .

thanks

nick.
Old 12 June 2004, 11:08 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by nickwrx
David ,
I have a wrx 95/96 ra and also have the same problem with my tappets , i have some castrol dextron 3 that i use for my power steering would this be alright to use in the oil . thanks nick.
Nick, not certain about that, The analysis was for regular ATF which has different properties to Dextron. I wouldn't want to say Ok, I'd rather you used what I do know about.

David
Old 14 June 2004, 11:49 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Nick, not certain about that, The analysis was for regular ATF which has different properties to Dextron. I wouldn't want to say Ok, I'd rather you used what I do know about.

David
DAVID...Can i just use the car as norm,With the 500ml ATF in..Ie-On and off the turbo......Please.....?.
Old 15 June 2004, 09:27 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by WRX STI Type RA.
DAVID...Can i just use the car as norm,With the 500ml ATF in..Ie-On and off the turbo......Please.....?.
Best not to wring its neck. Try to keep steady throttle openings and NOTHING above 4000 rpm. That should do it.

David
Old 15 June 2004, 09:09 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Best not to wring its neck. Try to keep steady throttle openings and NOTHING above 4000 rpm. That should do it.

David
Thanks again David.