Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Removing OEM Fuel pressure reg

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2004, 07:20 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing OEM Fuel pressure reg

Having a beetch of a time doing this. Basically there's 2 screws holding the little bugger - the top one is out but the bottom one seems nigh impossible. I can't even get a stubby screwdriver in there. In fact everything around the area is almost welded together because of the heat of the nearby turbo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05 June 2004, 07:49 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

this might help

I'll be fittimg mine next week or so ....

let us know how you get on........

Iain
Old 05 June 2004, 07:50 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes indeedy, what a ******* **** of a job that woz

Don't really know if there is any easy way of doing this.

Aside from the obvious, dowsing in WD40 and being very very careful not to round the heads of the screws, what I did was;

Removed the turbo heat shield to give a bit more access.

I used a screw driver with a decent end and a removable handle, I then put a spanner in between the end screw driver of the screw driver and the handle that slots onto it. I then pushed with all my might on the end of the screw driver to keep it firm in the back of the screw and used the spanner to rotate the screw. This worked well.

A mini ratchet set with screwdriver bits would also work well. I found it just too hard to get decent access with a screwdriver, applying enough pressure whilst rotating at the same time.

Just one further word of advice, when you put the sender in for the pressure reg, be really careful when putting it in and ensure that it is straight, it is all too easy to rip the side off the o ring when it goes in.
Old 05 June 2004, 09:48 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

I was told it's not easy but **** me - it's got to be one of the most cnuting things you can try to remove from the engine. I'm tempted to hammer the focker off!

I just had a shot with a 1/4" socket driver and screwdriver bit but I can't get enough sideways pressure on it. The screw has typically welded itself in there over time with the heat of the turbo. I looked with a dentist mirror and could see that it wasn't turning.

I'll try the heat shield - that's a good idea. Really want to move the hose directly behind it but that again is "welded" on.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:04 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Buy some proper nuts to replace the stupid w*nk screws with when you do finally get them out....

I remove heat shield and wastegate actuator to get more space, I then found the right sized cross head bit in a small rathchet the best way. Check it's the right size using the top screw....once you've rounded the head off, I guess it's a turbo off job.

Richard
Old 09 June 2004, 11:11 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys - I removed the heat shield and was able to get a normal screwdriver in but it was properly welded in there, I couldn't budge it - nor could my mate. I ended up pulling the inlet manifold off to get a pair of pliers around the outside of it. What a c**t of a thing. Replaced the turbo inlet hose at the same time with a phat Samco one.

http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v...3-4332_IMG.jpg

Certainly learnt more about the engine but the time I spent on it was ridiculous. At least it's not running lean any more!
Old 09 June 2004, 11:46 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use an impact driver on them, dont even attempt pissing about..

injectors ones can be a **** too

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2004, 12:01 AM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

OMG, and I thought I had it hard

Least you actually got the ****** out in the end - yay
Old 10 June 2004, 12:56 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Well done, mate. I had the exact same trouble last weekend. Took me half a day to work out how the hell to get it off! Putting it back on was bad, as the infamous o ring problem hit me Once you know what to do, it wasn't that bad. Did you use PTFE tape to seal off the new FPR?