Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Oil loss - usual culprits?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 07:59 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Oil loss - usual culprits?

Unfortunately discovered a gearbox oil leak this evening - been there a couple of days i think as i started noticing a rubbery burning type smell over the weeken (actually initially thought it was tyre rubber getting alittle warm).

any how it seems that I'm loosing gearbox oil and it's dripping onto the exhaust - hence the smell.

can anyone advise me as to the mose likely culpits - Obviously i won't be able to verify until I have a look tomorrow morning - but it'd be nice to know where to look 1st.

BTW '97 JDM V3 Sti

Thanks in advance

dr_jones
Old 18 May 2004, 01:02 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Found the problem!....

I got under my wagon this morning and found the problem. There are 8 or nine bolts around the end cap on the final drive out of the gearbox - mine were all completely loose apart from hte very top one - had on bolt hanging out about an inch, one about 10mm and the rest far enough out for the spring washers to be loose.

All tightened now and no more leaks.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:14 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

You may well want to change that oil now - you may have lost enuff for it to have run low which at the very least could have over stressed the oil (fingers crossed that it is nothing more than that). Of course, one hopes that not even that has happened, but better at least to top'er up IMHO.
Old 19 May 2004, 08:53 AM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
You may well want to change that oil now - you may have lost enuff for it to have run low which at the very least could have over stressed the oil (fingers crossed that it is nothing more than that). Of course, one hopes that not even that has happened, but better at least to top'er up IMHO.
Yup - have topped up but I'm gonna get an order to classic castrol today to do a change - it's been 12 months since last time so I guess I'm due anyhow.