Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Front main Crank Oil Seal

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 06:43 PM
ande
Scooby Regular

Location: Crowbuck Scoobies, Near the rolling sea, where the weather is calm and still! Come on Sing along!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Front main Crank Oil Seal

Hi,
I'll start from the beginning, Two weeks ago I dropped my sister up the pub and as I drove away(hard) I noticed smoke bellowing out from behind my car. My first thought was "Oh crap do I need a new turbo" but when I pulled over the smoke bellowed out of my vents. A strangely calm panic? came over me as I opened the bonnet to be confronted by flames licking away at the bottom of my o/s head cam cover. After standing there for a couple of seconds and realising that blowing it won't put it out, I decided to drive home as I have a fire extinguisher in my van. This extinguisher was frankly crap. but a hose pipe later soon had said fire under control. The fault was traced to the front crank oil seal having a big hole in it and removing several litres of oil. (Can re-trace my route home!!) Nine quid for the seal and £60+vat for a new cambelt later and all was sorted. Or so I thought!!!!! Yesterday get home to find car is on fire again and after taking n/s cambelt cover off I find myself back at the beginning. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it??????????????????????

Sorry.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:23 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you shouldn't use water to put out oil fires

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I'm just interested to know a few things.

Did you put the seal in yourself?
Do you have a standard crank pulley?
How bad is it leaking?
Does it leak only when it's running?

I've seen a few DIYers damage seals when installing them by just using a hammer (including myself when I was a wee lad )
Old 18 May 2004, 12:30 AM
ande
Scooby Regular

Location: Crowbuck Scoobies, Near the rolling sea, where the weather is calm and still! Come on Sing along!

My powder extinguisher just exploded all over my engine but not the fire so had no choice, the water cooled the exhaust enough to stop it from taking again.
My mate who has been a mechanic for about 8 years helped me do the seal, I can't help but think perhaps a dodgy seal?
I hope it is something as simple as damaging the seal putting it in, but sounds unlikely for my mate to damage it.