Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Excessive body roll

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 09:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive body roll

is it just me or does the sti (04) have excessive body roll, you really feel it on the twisties & when cornering hard.

Any ways to stiffen up the suspension

Cheers

Stephen
Old 12 May 2004, 09:19 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Spring Kit Stephen apparently works a treat - ask John (EVOJKP). Even my car felt very stable when driven properly last night on the track - like jelly when I got the lines and braking wrong.

Brian.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:07 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
is it just me or does the sti (04) have excessive body roll, you really feel it on the twisties & when cornering hard.

Any ways to stiffen up the suspension

Cheers

Stephen
My 03 WRX PPP rolled far too much so I fitted the Prodrive spring kit. It does help and does'nt cost much but roll is still pronounced IMHO. I know there are additional non-dealer mods that can be fitted but I'd rather keep such a new car on Subaru/Prodrive product only. May change later...
Old 12 May 2004, 10:12 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Cut the floor pan to allow the visible part of the shell to be removed. Then graft that part of the shell to a Zip cart thats just been stolen from Knockhill and hey presto.. your Sti will handle like a Go kart.

Any use to you???

Your sarky mate......Jamie
Old 12 May 2004, 10:15 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Default springs

get some pro drives fitted with a set of 18" approx £500 for springs fitted and £1500 for the rimms. job done!
Old 12 May 2004, 11:41 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

uprated anti-roll bars and droplinks... (as well as the springs)

dunno whether you need geometry checking / resetting after ARBs but you don't after droplinks

ARBs, depending upon setting, reduce the body roll and understeer but if you make them too stiff at the rear, you can make it easier to oversteer (unless you are a talented driver and/ or like the handling that way as it can be rewarding but you've to be ready if it breaks away - understeer = safety for Joe Public as it gives them a warning to cool it ) By stiffening things up to much, you take out the compliance of the suspension to absorb the cornering forces, making more load transfered to the road / tyre interface and if this is too great for the tyre to cope with, it breaks away and slides...

Droplinks are on the ends of the ARB and bring in it's effects sooner by preloading the ARB, i.e. less mushiness to get through before it gives some benefit - they don't alter the stiffness of the ARB - just it's "starting point"

It's also possible to do the front ARBs and droplinks whick will push the steering response into more understeer if the front is relatively stiffer than the rear...

These are all layman's terms so it's probably better asking in the suspension forum...

Apple

Last edited by Apple; 12 May 2004 at 11:47 PM.