Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sti engine too powerful for gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 10:51 PM
heman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti engine too powerful for gearbox

Has anyone had a problem with the Sti engine being too powerful for its gearbox? Checked out an Evo 8 with a friend but i asked about the scooby...the guy told me the Sti gives trouble and said the egine........I've never heard that think he's just trying to make the Evo look more reliable to get the sale.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

a standard sti is fine , its when the cars are modified that the gear box cant take the torque. but i think the sti gearbox will still cope with 330lbs of torque if im wrong im sure someone will reply
Old 10 May 2004, 12:27 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by heman
Has anyone had a problem with the Sti engine being too powerful for its gearbox?
Not on the New Age cars. The five speed boxes have a bit of a reputation for fragility when asked to handle higher-than-standard levels of torque, but the six speed is a completely different kettle of fish. Should handle a standard/PPP STi without any problems at all.
Old 10 May 2004, 08:27 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

What sti are we talking about?

STI 5/6 gearboxes are also very good

Not sure on earlier sti engines
Old 12 May 2004, 04:39 PM
heman
Scooby Regular

Well the guy was talking about the version 7
Old 12 May 2004, 05:43 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

version 7 sti boxes are very strong, there are quite a few people putting these in cars with over 350ft-lb of torque, some with over 400ft-lb

Paul
Old 12 May 2004, 05:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the 'best' spec of the 6 speeder for a Classic?

I'm expecting to break my 5 speed box in my hill climb Stiv3 with slicks on, and the obvious chioce must be the 6 speeder.
I do not have DCCD currently, what is the spec for a 6 speed, non dccd, with LSD diffs? How do you describe the 'suretrak' LSD system, is it viscous/plated or what.
Whar are the diff/gear ratios available, and from what JD Impreza?
ie A 2002 Bug eye WRX is the right donar car etc.

Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2004, 06:06 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
What is the 'best' spec of the 6 speeder for a Classic?
Depends what you want out of it.

I'm expecting to break my 5 speed box in my hill climb Stiv3 with slicks on, and the obvious chioce must be the 6 speeder.
You'd have options in those circumstances. Don't forget the six speed box is a good 20-30kg heavier than the 5MT, and they also cost a bit in the current market. You may find that a dog gearkit for your existing casing may be a better option for your specific usage than fitting the six speed box.

How do you describe the 'suretrak' LSD system, is it viscous/plated or what.
Think the Suretrak diffs are mechanical/helical rather than plated, but I may be confusing them with something else. Should be more info on AP's website.

ie A 2002 Bug eye WRX is the right donar car etc.
WRXes have the five speed box, it's the STi's that have the six.

There are a couple of threads on the six speeder round here, one of which lists pretty much the full range of transmission part numbers/ratios/diff combinations available. Think I've posted on it so might try searching on my posts to find it if other methods fail
Old 12 May 2004, 10:40 PM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that! A friend may soon have a dog box for sale, it will need a diff I think, but a 4.44 cant be hard to get(?).
My worry is the ability for the car with a dog box to be driven on the road (to and from the hill climbs). It has a Possum gear set so is semi helical, noise isn't a problem, but synchro less changes?
He will want £2K for it, and the 6 speeder is about £1500, and I can do the 240mm clutch too... just seems a better way to beef it all up.
I can remember that thread also, but if you can find it, can you pm it to me please?

Do you ever stop spending ££££££££££££££££ on Imprezas?

Maybe one day when I go back to the 911!

Old 12 May 2004, 11:29 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Thanks for that! A friend may soon have a dog box for sale, it will need a diff I think, but a 4.44 cant be hard to get(?).
Rear diff?

My worry is the ability for the car with a dog box to be driven on the road (to and from the hill climbs). It has a Possum gear set so is semi helical, noise isn't a problem, but synchro less changes?
Tastes may vary of course but personally that wouldn't worry me in the slightest. I'd happily drive a dogbox equipped car on the road all the time, much prefer them to synchro boxes. Provided you're not too harsh with it on the road, ring wear shouldn't be too significant an issue.

He will want £2K for it, and the 6 speeder is about £1500, and I can do the 240mm clutch too... just seems a better way to beef it all up.
All depends ultimately on want to do with the car. I'd have thought that the dog box will be worth a bit up the hill thanks to quicker changes, while the 6MT is more of an easy "fit and forget" option, provided you can get one with ratios to suit your needs.

I can remember that thread also, but if you can find it, can you pm it to me please?
This is the one: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=323449
Old 13 May 2004, 12:07 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Getting a good centre diff will be important for optimum tarmacing. DCCD is good, but you need to sort a loom and controller for it, although townend may have something as a third party setup. However more torque will

Suretrac is similar to a Quaiffe atb in operation, but not as smooth from what I hear, same as is used on the RS focus.

Dogbox for day to day use, hmmmm. Semi helical makes much less noise, and that's what would put me off one mainly. Changing can be a pain, and if you want to go with clutchless changes be prepared to maintain box, new forks and dog rings from time to time.

Your future engine choices will have an impact too. if you go larger capacity with US sti short block, then 5 speed is deffo the way to go, less weight and the wide power band will soak up the ratio gaps no problem (although it should be close as is). More torque also requires more thought for diffs and stuff.

Paul
Old 13 May 2004, 07:14 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info!
My Sti has 4.44 diffs and is a 'weekend warrior' kind of car, the fit and forget theme is great, the extra weight is not, though it is sort of mid-ships in the car. I have driven this dog box on the race track and it is VERY slick, has STi 'level' ratios, not the ultra short RA ratios that involve too many changes for hill climbing. However, it would be murder to drive it that frantically on the road, and the maintenance may be quite high even using the clutch to change up and down all the time. I'm looking for reliability!
I intend to keep the Sti revver, so the Sti box would make sense.

Thankyou for finding the thread, I also have one on actually fitting the box, again by absolute shower I think.
After all the fuss about my sticking clutch pedal I don't want to visit the transmission again for a while! Changing box and rear diff is such a pain, a box with a 4.44 in it would be an investment for me.
Really cannot make my mind up at the moment, the dog box will be available soon and he will be very keen to sell ASAP, so not much time to mess about....

Old 14 May 2004, 10:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by heman
Has anyone had a problem with the Sti engine being too powerful for its gearbox? Checked out an Evo 8 with a friend but i asked about the scooby...the guy told me the Sti gives trouble and said the egine........I've never heard that think he's just trying to make the Evo look more reliable to get the sale.

The guy can really speel some bs

They fit a similar (if not same design) gearbox into the evo 8 as the one fitted into the STi MY01 onwards, so you can tell me which one is the better

Tony

PS they say the STi has better feel from the gearbox than the evo
Old 14 May 2004, 03:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The guy can really speel some bs
Speaking of which...

They fit a similar (if not same design) gearbox into the evo 8 as the one fitted into the STi MY01 onwards, so you can tell me which one is the better
Eh? WTF are you talking about? The Mitsu and Subaru gearboxes have no commonality whatsoever. Apart from anything else, Subaru 'boxes are designed implicitly for longitudinal installation, while the Lancer has a transverse engine with 'box designed accordingly. In no way, shape of form are the gearboxes "similar (if not the same design)".
Old 14 May 2004, 06:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Look a little harder when youi lift the bonnet
As i have said, they fit a similar designed gearbox, have you not heard of the likes of FHI?
Companies will share parts (ie just like the twin scroll thats also fitted to the evo 8) or even share developement costs on parts (they can even buy the rights to make and modify parts to suit their cars).
Anyway no doubt im talking bs, must be that mitsubishi cambelt fitted to my scoob out of the factory....

Tony
Old 14 May 2004, 07:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
As i have said, they fit a similar designed gearbox,
It might look similar, in as much as it's an aluminium casing with bits sticking out, but that's about as far as the similarity goes. The Lancer gearbox is a transverse design with the centre and front differentials behind and to the side of the gear cluster. The Impreza's boxes are longitudinal with the centre diff behind the cluster and the front diff in front of it.

Leaving aside differences in the mating face of the block and bellhousing, an Impreza gearbox physically won't fit in the Lancer's engine bay, let alone actually connect to the driveshafts and prop!

have you not heard of the likes of FHI?
No, never heard of them, who are they?

Companies will share parts
Of course they do, when possible/practical. However, there's a world of difference between sharing minor components like belts and switchgear and major assemblies like transmissions, especially when you are talking about two cars with completely different transmission configurations. The gearbox on a Lancer may contain the same number of ratios as a Subaru one, but to claim that they're somehow "the same" (or similar) is ludicrous.

Anyway no doubt im talking bs, must be that mitsubishi cambelt fitted to my scoob out of the factory....
I've never claimed that there are no Mitsubishi sourced parts on a Subaru, so I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make there. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, apart from producing their own cars, supply parts on an OE basis to virtually all the Japanese manufacturers, so seeing their logo under a Subaru's bonnet is hardly strange.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 14 May 2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:04 PM
heman
Scooby Regular

easy boys