Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

is there any difference in flow/boost increases between performance b/boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 06:42 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is there any difference in flow/boost increases between performance b/boxes?

just wondering as i had a remap a while back using a full de-cat magnex system, boost set to approx 17 psi with the boost gauge backing this up.

recently changed the b/box to a TSL firestorm and it seems the car won't boost above 16 psi, could be a number of things i know (bit warmer weather etc.) but was wondereing if anyone else has had this too?

car feels the same to drive, just not hitting the peak boost that it did before, any ideas?

cheers
Old 06 May 2004, 06:23 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 06 May 2004, 01:11 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Different BBs do make a difference to flow - but not a lot.
If the new exhaust is more free-flowing, you will be achieving the same flow rate but at lower boost - this is a good thing! The ECU may adjust over time anyway, back to the programmed level (I assume it's a TEK remap?). It can take a fair few hundred miles to do it - an ECU reset may or may not speed the process up, or it may well be that your turbo is simply having trouble producing any more flow! (hence the boost pressure would drop off ).
Old 06 May 2004, 06:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nom
Different BBs do make a difference to flow - but not a lot.
If the new exhaust is more free-flowing, you will be achieving the same flow rate but at lower boost - this is a good thing! The ECU may adjust over time anyway, back to the programmed level (I assume it's a TEK remap?). It can take a fair few hundred miles to do it - an ECU reset may or may not speed the process up, or it may well be that your turbo is simply having trouble producing any more flow! (hence the boost pressure would drop off ).
cheers mate, yep it's a TEK 2 remap. like i say, the car doesn't feel any different, guess i'll just keep an eye on things to see if they change at all.

ta