Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY 03 WRX PPP RE - MAP

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2004, 10:07 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MY 03 WRX PPP RE - MAP

Has any one had their PPP Re mapped by TSL, Powerstation, Power Engineering ect, Only interested in WRX NOT STI !!! What are the benefits that you have noticed, Does it now rev more freely as it gets to 6000 revs, are there any flat spots noticeable. How much did it cost and would you recommend it.

Regards

John

PS sorry to go on, only interested in MY 03 WRX PPP
Old 31 March 2004, 09:09 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So looks like no ones had it done yet?

John
Old 31 March 2004, 09:49 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes, I don't think anyone has done so yet either, thats exactly the type of info I am after! I had a long chat with some knowledgable people at TSL who told me that a re-map on my MY03 WRX PPP would produce around 270LB of torque and similar BHP. They said the torque band would be felt from as little as 1000 rpm, and all that was needed was a re-map on the existing ECU, and possibly, in addition, an uprated fuel pump, thats it. The re-map is £650 plus VAT and they need the car for at least 5 hours. Hope this helps you!
Old 31 March 2004, 10:21 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Greggyg for the reply, I think that this is the way to go TSL with uprated fuel pump and possibly uprated injectors too. Having looked on the Ecutec forums they do a switchable map ie one for good fuel consumption & one for performance! I was thinking of retaining existing PPP map with one map and the second map the new TSL re map if this makes sence, quiet fancy being first in the country!!!

Regards

John
Old 01 April 2004, 08:12 AM
Buttyawayfromhome
Scooby Regular

What is different in output for remapping the PPP ECU than starting with a std ECU?
If you're going to spend that money, why not flog the PPP ECU, get a std one (reset key codes) and get the Ecutek?
Also curious why the need to do it on a warrantied car & PPP - is the Ecutek likely to show up in a Subaru diagnostic check? Thought the whole point of buying PPP was for peace of mind.

Nick
Old 01 April 2004, 02:59 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Nick PPP ecu is standard ecu re maped by them ie Prodrive, New Ecuteck ecu map has the potential for two switchable maps as said before, so you could keep PPP map and have new map at the same time. So when you go in for service you switch back to original PPP map, the reason I had the PPP in the first place was because of Ignorance ie not knowing about Scoobynet before I bought the car.

Regards

John

PS hope I made myself clear on the ECU ie you just pay a Licence fee to have your existing standard ecu or PPP ecu re maped so you do not try to sell or swap.
Old 01 April 2004, 04:17 PM
Buttyawayfromhome
Scooby Regular

Thanks John.
I fancy upgrading the PPP to emulate the US Stage 3 PPP by adding a sports CAT, uppipe and ECU - unfortunately I'm sure that would null the warranty, so perhaps what you're describing is a more stealthy route.
The extra torque would be very welcome.
The bigger upgrade will have to wait for another couple of years.

By the way, I don't think you were ignorant about other modding packages on a new car, PPP is the only option to keep the warranty water tight.
I was in the same boat when buying mine - had it been an import or out of warranty then I would have gone straight for an Ecutek.

Nick

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2004, 05:09 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Just a couple of points. It won't be possible to retain the normal PPP map and have another map in there as well. In any case the mapswitch version is only available for 01/02MY WRX, not 03MY.

The only way to increase power output above where the WRX PPP is at the moment by remapping would be to increase boost, advance the ignition or take some fuel out. Almost all of these changes would significantly increase EGT to the point that a cat failure is a definate possibility.

It goes without saying that your warranty would be compromised....

Mike
Old 01 April 2004, 06:08 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

why bother, are you really gonna notice that 27 bhp/27 lbs of torque in every day driving, i,ve got a 03 sti ppp and for the sake of the above figures if any thing went pop is the following warranty hassel worth it
Old 01 April 2004, 06:18 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Mike thanks for the info , According to their site Ecuteck are working on switchable map, could be out this month. Rav4640 quiet agree about small gains in bhp & torque figures that's why I asked the question in the first place to see if anybody could throw any light on the subject.

Regards

John
Old 01 April 2004, 09:25 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it John, you'll only want more later on!!
Old 01 April 2004, 09:46 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Hi John,
As I understand it (for what it is worth) my car has 2 modes and 1 of those is a lower boost mode(or standard mode) which can be switched back to normal.
However I can drone on about it in more detail on monday night until you fall to sleep or hit me with a chair
Cheers
Dean
Old 02 April 2004, 02:36 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Dean........
Old 02 April 2004, 08:13 AM
Buttyawayfromhome
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike,
Hence my wish for my interest in the US stage 3 package which looks around 280 bhp/280 lbft.
I assume it has a sport cat that accepts higher EGTs and bigger flow- can you divulge if this package was offered to IM for approval on the WRX (and why they rejected it?) or if there was a technical reason why it couldn't work in the UK?

Nick
Old 02 April 2004, 08:29 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nick

It's entirely possible to go further than we do but you need to look properly at so many different areas.

To get more power safely you need to free up the exhaust, fitting a new up-pipe and downpipe (similar to the one we fit to the STi) Then the injectors need changing as they can't cope and you really need a fuel pump to be safe. Then the turbo is just blowing hot air so you need a bigger one.

Once you've done all that, the brakes can't cope and the transmission will start to struggle to get the power down.

Add up the costs of the parts above and you have spent more money than you would have to buy an STi and put the performance package on it. You wouldn't have 5 doors though!

It basically comes down to development costs, the market is quite small and to do the job to the appropriate standard still costs as much as it would do for something like the STi PPP therefore making the package disproportionally expensive to return the money we need to spend on development.

Getting the power is very easy, ensuring it's done properly and it's going to be reliable is not..........

Mike
Old 02 April 2004, 11:07 AM
Buttyawayfromhome
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Mike - you have it in a nutshell about the 5 door thing - I came from a modded Forester and thought that the WRX Wagon was a bit racey!! An STi just would not go down well for work or my "image".
Sorry to hark on about the US stage 3 PPP but that appears to be the next step up (without additional serious modding) whilst ensuring it meets the constraints of development, testing and reliability.
Is there any major technical reason why I couldn't use stage 3 If I imported it?
-though probably an academic question as I expect there is an obstacle from purchasing it.

Sorry John for the hijack, but I was looking at what to do with the PPP and thought that it was a toss up between the stage 3 PPP (if feasible) or having a TSL equivalent of this - your thread sounded like it was asking the same thing.
Nick
Old 02 April 2004, 12:04 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nick

The exhaust parts would fit but the ECU spec is different and we haven't done it for the EU car.

Mike
Old 02 April 2004, 01:41 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike, thanks for the explanation ie brakes transmission ect, As I have already modified my car with different disks front & rear pads lines ect, changed the suspension, Prodrive lowering kit ARB ,ALK, Prodrive quick shift the list goes on. l'd like a bit more power and torque over and above the PPP that I already have and don't want to change the car after spending thousands on it. So what you are saying is that if I do uprate the injectors and fuel pump I can get the above but at the cost of losing the warranty and possible blow up due to the potential problems that you have highlighted in previuous posts.
That being the case I don't have a problem with this situation as the car goes very well as it is, also there has been a complete lack of response from the usual suspects saying they can do it and that their re map is very safe so this leads me to the conclusion that it cannot be done safely.

Regards

John

Nick no problem mate, glad to know that their is somebody else out there thinking of the same !!