Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI9 Decat

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 11:46 AM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI9 Decat

how hard is it to change just the down pipe I am getting a full system but cant get a remap until June, so I was just going to fit the system for the time being and fit the down pipe just before the remap. If I do this will I have to remove the complete system and if not how long should it take to exhange the down pipe alone and have you any hints or tips
Thanks
Jamie
Old 26 March 2004, 05:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT DO IT!!!!!
STi's are reknown for having funny turns with full decats (i take it yours is a uk car?) and you will det the life out of the engine easily. Personally id wait until june and get it done the same time as you get the remap, this will keep your engine safe.

Tony
Old 26 March 2004, 06:08 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

get a knock link
Old 26 March 2004, 06:11 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

jamies car is a jdm sti9, i am not sure but i remember bob had big probs with overboost, have u received ur system yet jamie?? I really dont know if you are putting a system on from the downpipe onwards if the fitments and bores are gonna be the same?? or if it will even couple together. I would think though, but im no expert that its the removal of the front cat that causes the problems, not just the centre section and backbox

Jason
Old 26 March 2004, 06:26 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jamie

You should be fine changing the centre section and backbox for now. I have an HKS Super Dragger cat back on my JDM with a UK fuel map. Runs up to 2nd green on my Knocklink about 7k revs. I couldn't recommend a Knocklink highly enough on these cars.

Put the DP on no earlier than you have to. Without proper mapping you will run serious overboost. I will only get a DP fitted the day before I get my car mapped.

Changing the DP is fairly easy.

You are looking about 2 hours work on a newish car. Be careful not to round the heads of the nuts off on the back of the Turbo as it can be difficult to get to. It can be done with ramps and axle stands but I would recommend a hydraulic lift.

Make sure you are careful with the metal gasket that goes between the turbo and DP if you want to reuse it, the twin scroll gasket is different so more difficult to get hold of.

Nathan..
Old 26 March 2004, 06:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BB doesnt cause problems, taking out the d/p definately will, the centre cat will also cause problems but the ecu will probably adapt to that, you should just get the car mapped and run the cat with some other exhaust parts, of course if your not with a mod friendly insurance co you will get stung big style....

Tony
Old 26 March 2004, 07:24 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I wont be changing the downpipe until just before the remap I just woundered how involved the fitting was and if I should fit the system and downpipe at the same time or fit the system now and the downpipe later so long as it wasnt to much extra work. I cant wait my sti is far to shy so I think I wil fit the system now and the downpipe before I go to BRD.

Where is the cheapest/best place to get knocklink and how involved is the fitting and where have you fitted yours. (my origin B is in front of the ashtray)
cheers
Jamie
Old 26 March 2004, 08:43 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHILD75
Where is the cheapest/best place to get knocklink and how involved is the fitting and where have you fitted yours. (my origin B is in front of the ashtray)
Jamie

I got my KL from Bob Rawle funnily enough

Fitting is easy if you are a DIY type person.

An earth + switched power lead,(easiest one to get to is behind radio), + two wires which plug into back of knock sensor.

Just getting the wires through the bulk head can be a pain in the ****. I took the intercooler off as the waterspray resevoir on the JDM cars is in the way of the large grommet you need.

This is a pic of the bolt hole on the block under the intercooler where you need to bolt the sensor to. This was from my old WRX but the hole is in the same place on my STi.

Nathan..
Old 26 March 2004, 09:18 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nathan can you take the leds out of the knocklink and mount them in your line of sight and the restof it out of sight?
Old 26 March 2004, 09:26 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes you can.

If you want it can be mounted under a Defi Gauge pod with the LEDs poking through for example.

If you want to mount them 90 degrees from vertical (as they come). You will have to un-solder the LEDs slide off some plastic up rights and re solder them, before folding them to point off the end of the board. It can be done.

Nathan..
Old 15 April 2004, 09:40 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Question

My knocklink arrived today (cheers BRD for speedy delivery} I have not taken the intecooler off yet but will the sensor be replacing another sensor or is it a stand alone and the hole is there for somthing else? Dose it mater which way round the K L sensor wires go and will I need anything else to complete the insall once started?
TIA
Jamie
Old 15 April 2004, 09:56 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Its a standalone hole.

Just make sure you get a bolt to fit the hole before you go stripping bits off the car. I can't remember off the top of my head what size it is. I think it's an M8x45 or thereabouts.

Doesn't matter which way the wires go round IIRC.
Old 15 April 2004, 09:58 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers