Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

quick one

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 11:36 PM
reefyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick one

anyone know where to connect the clutch return spring to,the end coming back to the engine.cant see anything to hook it around was wondering if there is supposed to be a bracket.i can remember seing a pcture on here of the spring but i cant seem to find it again.

cheers simon
Old 26 March 2004, 01:55 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

There should be a stamped steel bracket on the side of the anti-beaming link mount. Little hole in the end to accept the spring...

If you've had the gearbox apart, it's possible that you may have forgotten to put it back on, but under any other circumstances, it should be pretty well impossible to miss.
Old 26 March 2004, 09:35 PM
reefyman
Scooby Regular

thanks for that greasemonkey
had a look and the bracket,clutch return spring and the clutch pivot shaft retaining bung were all missing.car had been in to a garage for head gaskets recently and i guess they forgot to put these parts back on.new clutch went in at same time and to be honest the clutch had been terrible,peddle not returning all the way awful juddering and then last week it went bang.when i looked i found the clutch fork pivot shaft hanging out by the starter motor.
ive now fitted bung and fabricated a bracket to fit the spring and found my clutch is sweet as a nut even the juddering has gone.well chuffed but a bit miffed about the garages incompetence.

cheers simon
Old 29 March 2004, 12:08 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reefyman: My clutch pedal has just started to stick down during full bore accelleration/gearchanges, about 50mm from the top. Do you think that it was all down to the shaft being loose and maybe lacking lubrication? Obviously, when it worked it's way out as far as the starter motor then it would all be cr*p, bit like the garage who did it!
Any thoughts please, I've well pissed about this pedal thing!
Old 30 March 2004, 07:29 PM
reefyman
Scooby Regular

i think the return spring being added has made th e most difference especially concerning the pedal sticking.have you checked the spring,people on here recommend changing them every so often as they tend to weaken with age.
Old 31 March 2004, 11:37 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added a spring to the existing one last night, made no difference at all to my problem.
At a loss as to what to do now other than pull the box/clutch out and check everything again, what a pain!
I am now sure it is the connection between the clutch diaphram spring and the thrust bearing. I think there is a lot of free play there which is incorrect.
I still cannot see why the pedal sticks only during hard accelleration through the gears....
Graham.
Old 31 March 2004, 11:06 PM
reefyman
Scooby Regular

mines a standard clutch on a wrx but i must admit there does seem to be a lot of play like you describe,when i first looked after my prob i could see in through the top of the bell housing a lot of play in the thrust bearing area and initially i thought the clutch had gone.however when i then noticed the shaft sticking out and the bung missing i concentrated on getting the shaft back in and found the clutch working good as new.as said before once id greased up the shaft,fitted the bung and installed the return spring the clutch is now better than its ever been.have you tried putting the return spring under more tension ie;stretching it to a point further away from the slave cylinder.i wish i looked at mine sooner because it really used to pŁ$s me off as well,so i know what your going through.
cheers simon