Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Severe Clutch Judder may of damaged my Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 04:20 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Severe Clutch Judder may of damaged my Gearbox

Due to the problems I have been having with my gearbox, I have been racking my brain trying to understand why a 23,000 mile box would start to whine.

See http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...76#post3119576

when it dawned on me that a couple of weeks ago I had a MASSIVE clutch judder as it took up 2nd gear.

Now normally with a Scoob you expect a little judder every now and then, and especially when cold and in 1st gear.

In this MASSIVE instance I had been in slow traffic for about 30 mins, then pulled away from some lights and normal speed.

Then when changing into 2nd and taking up drive BANG..BANG...BANG...BANG..JUDDER...JUDDER...JUDDER this was by far the worst and a very severe case of what was thought to be clutch judder.

At the time I thought bloody hell, I'd be suprised if that ain't damaged anything.

Low and behold a couple of weeks later with the stereo volume down I noticed the whine described in the thread above.

Hopefully the above judder has only damaged some bearings (hopefully the diff as these look to be the easiest to get off and are likely to of taken a hammering from the above).

But I will let you know the outcome... it's booked in for the 29th for gearbox out, check'n'repair, new ADL Blueprint Clutch, gearbox in, Cambelt, Cambelt Tensioner and I may get a Quickshift, just so that I notice some difference for all that cash outlay.......

Last edited by Scott.T; 15 March 2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 15 March 2004, 05:07 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I would of thought if anything, it would be the gears that would suffer from such "violent" as you say clutch judder. bearings can survive such loadings, its the teeth on the gears which would of taken any impact. Would it of not been wiser to of let some of the power off if the judder was so violent.
Old 15 March 2004, 07:25 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you've got a funky aftermarket clutch Scott, the driven plate will have a set of springs in it that defuse the worst of the shock loadings. In any case, as SS says, if clutch judder alone was going to damage anything, it'd damage the teeth, not the bearings.

Are you sure it was judder though? Sounds as though it may have been something else. Clutch judder is normally worst when pulling away from a standstill as there's more slip. Once you're underway, it shouldn't be too obvious, so I'd suggest that whatever you experienced was something other than simple clutch judder.

Could be bearing damage, or a chipped tooth on the driven side of the gearbox. Either way you'll find out soon enough, hope it doesn't prove too expensive!
Old 16 March 2004, 08:29 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyslut
Would it of not been wiser to of let some of the power off if the judder was so violent.
What power, I was only changing into 2nd at about 10mph. My 3 year old son was asleep in the back, so I was driving like a saint (not 'THE' Saint).
Old 16 March 2004, 09:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I did get extremly bad judder on a very slow 1st to 2nd shift on mine. It was normally if the car had only been used pottering about beforehand. A bit of nutcase driving always sorted for me.

But my second gear does whine noticeable - especially under hard acelaration. Box has done 40K. But I have always put it down to 2nd gear probably being the most abused gear in my gearbox (if you know what I mean ). So it has a right to whine a bit.
Old 16 March 2004, 01:34 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

What about the clutch release bearing.
I did have problems with mine groaning every know and then. A Subaru techy advised squirting with a small amout of spray grease onto it through the rubber cover on top of the box.

This I done and 90% of the time stopped the groan.
If the bearings in the Clutch release bearing have failed now altogether would it cause it to whine all of the time i.e clutch in/out, gears in/out.
I guess if it's spinning on the input shaft there is a pissabolity
Old 13 April 2004, 11:44 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Well, got the gearbox repaired last week and it ended up being the tappered roller bearings (which I think belong in the centre diff).

The inner race of the smaller of the tappered roller bearing had lost all of it's case hardening.

Whether this had worn away on it's own or due to the rollers failing is unknown. Strange though that the worn area is almost exacty 180 degree's / half of the bearing.

As the box has only done 23,000miles I still suspect that the judder felt a whils back may of caused the failure.