Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Questions from a newish scooby owner

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2004, 01:06 PM
SCOOBY R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions from a newish scooby owner

Just about to recieve my redundency payoff and thought nothing would give me a bigger smile then some things for the car but Im thinking of getting a new turbo and intercooler and know nothing about them.

I've got a MY99 Type-R with a Link, decat and downpipe, APS induction, and uprated clutch. Im looking for a good power gain without stressing the standard gearbox and internals to much.

Saw a VF35 for sale but would this be worth getting if I want quick spool up and a good power that starts quite low down?

Is there any point me upgrading the topmounted intercooler or should I go front mounted? And if front which one? Liked the Pace one but have heard that the APS one is good.

Was thinking around the 350bhp 320lb/ft mark but not sure if thats just being hopeful or will stress the engine too much.

Any help would great.

James
Old 12 March 2004, 04:05 PM
red wrex
Scooby Regular

It depends, which turbo is on it now???

why not go for an ecu upgrade.

Also front mounted is defo the way forward
Old 12 March 2004, 06:46 PM
SCOOBY R
Scooby Regular

Its got the standard turbo on it at the mo, think its a VF28.

I've got a Link ECU on it which put the boost up to 1.4bar and have found out that this will just need remapping for the new mods.

Yeah I was thinking front, just dont like the idea of all that pipework. I like the idea of the Pace intercooler so that the pipes are shorter and no cutting is needed. Anyone here got any views on the Pace intercooler kit?
Old 13 March 2004, 05:37 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCOOBY R,
Did I see in another thread that you are on the Sussex/ Surrey border?
Keep your eyes out for the Sussex meet (first Sunday of each month) near Crawley.

There are a couple of members running PACE FMIC's
Also Mike Rivett usually attends (a handy guy to know for servicing )

I think the APS is a better core but the PACE has the advantages you already mentioned.
Call Lateral performance and see what Mark says about turbo and intercooler options
Old 13 March 2004, 09:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to look into the gearbox area here, the more torque you put though it the less reliable its going to become and with over 300lbs of torque these gearboxes do become a little fragile if you use them hard....
Your disadvantages with a vf35 and a fmic will be lag, the turbo at the back of the engine whilst the intercooler at the front, leaving quite a distance between both... and the vf35 being a sleeve bearing turbo will take slightly longer to spool up than that of your vf28.
You could try looking at some of the hybrid turbo's (lightened fins etc) to combat some of your potential problems, plus you havnt said if you have done anything with the brakes? This would be one of my first area's id look at, and not just different discs but a decent setup with a 2 piece bell/disc job like AP.

Tony
Old 13 March 2004, 01:12 PM
SCOOBY R
Scooby Regular

Thx Dyney, Will come along to the next one (think I just missed Marches ). I do Like those Pace ones.

Im already running 300lbs so guess I would have to be carful with any increase in torque, I cant really afford a whole new gearset just yet. Some people have said about the TD05/06-20G turbo unit for good spool time. I would prefer quick spool up and less lag then top power which this turbo seems to do best. I'll give Mark a call on monday and see if he can help.

Brakes are very important, I've got the 330mm 6 pot AP Racing discs and love them.

Thx guys for the help

James
Old 13 March 2004, 07:48 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the supporting mods you can get close to 350bhp with the VF28. The TD05-06 20G from Andy Forrest would be a cost effective option for higher power but it would well with 550 injectors.
The Link ECU is capable of looking after all your mods.
I am not a fan of the Pace. It can be fitted with little or no bumper cutting but it involves a smaller water radiator and does not keep charge temperatures down as effectively as the APS which is very good but relatively expensive. Also consider a Hybrid which is VERY cost effective and works well. There will be a third group buy in May. 708$ U.S. delivered plus import duty for the first two G.Bs.
I do not subscribe to the view that an efficient FMIC promotes lag or delays turbo spool signifigantly. This is from experience of APS and Hybrid FMICs on my own vehicles and experience driving other FMIC equipped cars but some are a lot worse than others. You can work it out for yourself. Calculate the intercooler and pipework capacity and then compare it with the engine air consumption.
Old 14 March 2004, 05:22 PM
SCOOBY R
Scooby Regular

Thx Harvey. Noticed the group buy on those hybrid intercoolers and yes they are a dam sight cheaper then the APS ones. Do you know if there are any stats or comparison dyno results for the hybrid ic?

Funny enough I spoke to Brdevelopments the other day and they werent to impressed buy the Pace one aswell but I was kinda hoping it was just them but I guess not. Shame cos I dont like cutting up the car as then its harder to take it back to standard if ever needed.