Running in new engine - accepted wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2004, 07:58 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in new engine - accepted wisdom

Hi all

My car (MY00, UK, PPP) had an engine rebuild a few weeks ago following a sudden and unexplained big-end failure. As recommended by the dealer at the time, I've driven the last 1000 miles keeping below 4k revs, varying the engine speed and keeping the load down.

It goes in for its post-rebuild oil change and inspection today, so now I'd like some advice on how to treat the car. Presumably it's a bad idea to hammer it straight away, so does anyone 'in-the-know' have a recommendation for easing it (and me!) back into normal driving?

(I'm going back to the IoM at the end of May - I'd really like the engine proven and ready for a little... enthusiasm by then!)

Ta
Andy.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:06 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just start to stretch the revs to 6k over the next 500-1000miles and then again to red line. Plenty of mixed driving and good warm ups and cool downs should do it.

Where did you get it fixed in the end, would you recommend them? Off line if you prefer...

F
Old 12 March 2004, 08:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it fixed by Bell & Colvill Subaru. I couldn't generally recommend them for engine rebuilds simply because the total price for parts and labour was quite staggering. However, I was able to persuade Subaru UK to cough up for the parts, given that my car was UK-supplied and had FSSH. I therefore 'only' had to pay for labour, which meant that the total bill was fractionally less than any other quotes I had, plus I got all new parts (short motor, turbo) rather than reconditioned or simply 'used'.

975 miles later I've had no problems, so I guess that's a recommendation of sorts. Watch this space
Old 12 March 2004, 07:04 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I got it fixed by Bell & Colvill Subaru. I couldn't generally recommend them for engine rebuilds simply because the total price for parts and labour was quite staggering. However, I was able to persuade Subaru UK to cough up for the parts, given that my car was UK-supplied and had FSSH. I therefore 'only' had to pay for labour, which meant that the total bill was fractionally less than any other quotes I had, plus I got all new parts (short motor, turbo) rather than reconditioned or simply 'used'.

975 miles later I've had no problems, so I guess that's a recommendation of sorts. Watch this space
Mail me your address offline if you wish and l'll post you a set of our running-in AND oil change instructions. Works OK for our engines - probably be Ok for a 'substandard Subaru job' LOL

David API