Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

UK MY00 Gearbox - 5th Gear Problem/Retaining Nut

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 09:03 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UK MY00 Gearbox - 5th Gear Problem/Retaining Nut

I was wondering if you could shed a little more light on what I have heard was a build problem on MY00 gearboxes.

I have an MY00 which has only covered 23,500 miles but over the past week or so has developed a slight whinning noise, which is most noticable when in 5th gear.

The noise levels seems to vary on and off day by day.

When the noise is not particularly loud (which is more often the case) it can be heard at speed i.e above 45mph in neutral, 4th or 5th (not tried the other gears at speed !!) and with the clutch depressed of released. And the noise frequency is directly related to road speed, not gear ratio.

When the noise is louder it is certainly 5th gear that is causing it. Changing down to 4th and it all but disappears i.e the level drops to that described above.

I did change the gear oil, hoping that it would cure it. Although the noise levels have dropped marginally it is certainly still there.

To clarrify :

The noise when quite can only really be heard at speed and with a smooth road surface and the stereo off (could be mistaken for an early wheel bearing failure).

The noise when loud seems related to 5th and can be heard above road and background stereo noise.

I have heard via a couple of posts on the BBS that there was a build problem with the MY00 box, in that the nut for 5th gear was not torqued correctly and hence can come loose. Have you heard of this, and if so would you expect this to be the problem.

P.S what sort of cost would I incurr in getting this rectified

P.P.S I have already contacted Xtreme and got a good response...just wanna open up the question to all.

Cheers....

Last edited by Scott.T; 11 March 2004 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:50 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well, changing into "neutral" at 45mph would not realistically diagnose much, as the drive train is still being driven, not by the engine, but by the vehicle momentum.
The 5th gear lock nut only gave a selection problem and not usually much more.this can be checked by simply removing the extension housing off the back of the box whilst in situ.

It may be a mainshaft bearing starting to wear.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:56 AM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

Or a diff whine?
Old 11 March 2004, 10:59 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyslut
Well, changing into "neutral" at 45mph would not realistically diagnose much, as the drive train is still being driven, not by the engine, but by the vehicle momentum.
The 5th gear lock nut only gave a selection problem and not usually much more.this can be checked by simply removing the extension housing off the back of the box whilst in situ.

It may be a mainshaft bearing starting to wear.
When the noise is louder, it is only when 5th is selected and can also be made louder or quieter by slightly moving the gear lever around in the gate, while drive is still being applied.
Old 22 April 2004, 08:36 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Following on from the above, the noise was not gear related, but only became apparent once above 45mph. very noticable above 60mph.

It ended up being a small tappered rollerbearing, which I think came from the centre diff casing. 180 degrees of the inner race had lost it's case hardening and worn. Whether this was down to roller bearing failure or failure of the inner race is difficult to tell. But all is fixed now.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:14 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

I've had something similar myself, MY00, 41,000 miles, dealer diagnosed and replaced mainshaft and bearings.