Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Walbro - on Jap Sti

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 04:46 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro - on Jap Sti

I'm on the verge of ordering a GSS-341 fro my '97 JDM Sti as a foundation mod before I even consider tweaking the boost level. I have read (Training WRX) that the standard fuelling system is only good for up to 1.1 to 1.2 bar.

This will be the first step, later the intention is to go for (if required) 550cc injectors along with (possibly) a modified fuel rail.

Question is, is this a resonable starting place - as far as fuelling goes - it would seem so to me but I'd welcome any comments.

Cheers,

dr_jones

Last edited by dr_jones; 10 March 2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10 March 2004, 04:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walbro 255/ph pump and an FSE fuel pressure regulator..

Available from Lateral Performance or As Performance I think among other places probably.

How are you thinking of sorting ecu map to compensate for injector mods etc? Link ecu etc..

I believe the fuel pump upgrade alone kills the standard fuel pressure regulator.

JGM
Old 10 March 2004, 06:04 PM
RicouGT
Scooby Regular

I believe the fuel pump upgrade alone kills the standard fuel pressure regulator
are you sure ? do you know somebody which already has similar case ?

i want to upgrade my fuel pump by a walbro 255, but, as i don't want modify fuel pressure, i would like preserve stock regulator ....!?!?
Old 10 March 2004, 06:46 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Walbro 255/ph pump and an FSE fuel pressure regulator..
Available from Lateral Performance or As Performance I think among other places probably.
How are you thinking of sorting ecu map to compensate for injector mods etc? Link ecu etc..
I believe the fuel pump upgrade alone kills the standard fuel pressure regulator.
JGM
Was gonna give the FSE FPR a wide berth to be honest - I had one before and found it utterly unreliable - needing re-adjusting every couple of weeks - I was intending on keeping stock FPR and going down the injector size upgrade if I start exceeding 80 - 90% duty cycle - at present I'm hitting mid 80s at standard 1.2 bar.

I'd be interested to hear any info about the stock FPR going pop with an prated pump as I'v egotta admit I'm not intending on changing it at this point.

As far as map is concerned - ultimately I think I'll end up with a link, though I'd really like to push the standard unit to it's limit before I scrap it - it made 298 bhp at 1.3 bar last year at PE without running lean or detting so I'm hopeful that I can break the 300 barrier without tooooooooo much expense...
Old 10 March 2004, 11:42 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RicouGT
are you sure ? do you know somebody which already has similar case ?

i want to upgrade my fuel pump by a walbro 255, but, as i don't want modify fuel pressure, i would like preserve stock regulator ....!?!?
I've walbro 255 341 with a stock regulator without any problems.
Old 11 March 2004, 01:40 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told by others that the O/E FPR can be "overcome" by the Walbro 341- 255lph pump but I have no firsthand experience of this.
On the STi Wagon I ran with an uprated pump for about a year without any issues before fitting an SX FPR.
If you do not need to increase the fuel pressure then give it a try without the FPR and you will probably be O.K. and the worst that happens is you have the inconvenience of ordering and waiting for a £95 FPR delivered next day in the post from AS Performance.