Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is TEK2 upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 01:32 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is TEK2 upgrade worth it?

Hi all - I have a MY00 UK Turbo that is fairly standard in terms of engine/exhaust mods. The only mod is a Scoobysport back box.

I'm interested in the ECUTEK stuff, but would like to know what difference it makes and what sort of BHP increase people saw. From looking at the PE and Scoobysport websites, I would expect to get up to around 240-250 BHP.

Is it also worth getting a decat centre section? How much extra BHP would this add? I don't really want to change the downpipe as then I'm getting into issues with emissions at MOT time.

Thanks,

Yass
Old 09 March 2004, 05:31 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mate

I ran a group buy on Power Engineering TEK2 remap, My UK MY98 ended up with 311BHP and 290LBF but there were a few other mods to get it there

Centre section will give you a better flow and thus better response and quicker turbo spool up. I saw a good improvement on the motorway with a decat centre.

The TEK2 is a good buy if you havent got a shed load of mods or dont intend to go mad with the mods in the future.

Before the map best to upgraded
the panel filter (Not a cone filter as it will screw up your MAF on a MY00)
improve the supply a cold air to the filter by replacing the resonator in the front wing with a cold air feed pipe
Decat centre (Magnex is £60)
Uprated fuel pump and regulator (£210 from Lateral Performance) not required but ensures a safer map
Boost gauge again not required but handy

With these simple mods you should see at least a safe 265BHP and 250LBF if not more.

Also ask for the type of map you want !

e.g. Max BHP with a good strong torque curve, running on optimax and economy off boost.

Hope this helps

Neal
Old 09 March 2004, 07:27 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the response. It was very helpful. I remember seeing the group buy a few months back but at the time I didn't have the money to do it.

If I can get around 265BHP then I think I'll go for it.

Cheers,

Yass
Old 09 March 2004, 07:36 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Was in that group buy to thanks to Neal my uk MY00 with Blitz Nur Spec ,Decat downpipe and induction kit (guess what the mafs just failed ) did 285 bhp & 276 lbft.It's worth doing my cars a different animal altogether now
Old 09 March 2004, 08:04 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Neal

Who recommended the uprated fuel pump?Did P.E.reccommend it?
Did you fit it at the same time as the Tek 2 upgrade?
The cold air feed.did you buy a kit for it?
I am just planning my tuning mods for MY2000,with Scoobysport exhaust,inc Sports Cat.
Sold my MY96 car buyer collecting in 10days time so this will release some money for my mods.
I was hoping to Tek 2 without informing Insurance Co. but changing fuel pumps etc. would be noticed? What do you think?

Do not want to go too mad ,car must last me 5/6 years or more.
Old 09 March 2004, 08:06 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by i8gtmf
Was in that group buy to thanks to Neal my uk MY00 with Blitz Nur Spec ,Decat downpipe and induction kit (guess what the mafs just failed ) did 285 bhp & 276 lbft.It's worth doing my cars a different animal altogether now
Sounds good, but how do I avoid this MAF problem? I don't even understand what they do - something about air flow?

I just read another post saying that the ITG panel filter can cause MAF problems. I was going to go with the K&N as that seems to be a safer bet.

The one thing I don't want to do is upgrade my car and then start having problems with it. I'm not very technical when it comes to under the bonnet of a car, so any problems would mean trips back to someone like PE - and them charging me for everything.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09 March 2004, 08:16 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Power Engineering advised me to change the fuel pump

The maf sensor is an air flow meter lets the ecu know how much is passing through, the one on a MY00 is for some reason more delicate than on earlier models so poor filtering and vibration from induction kits can damage them and worse case senario the engine lets go.I fitted a knocklink prior to the remap as a precaution but when my maf started to fail the car ran badly so i garaged it and they diagnosed it and fixed it in minutes.
Basically most people say mafs on MY00's and induction kits don't mix
Old 09 March 2004, 08:21 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Did you change it when you had Tek 2 done?
Old 09 March 2004, 08:22 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Hi Aggs - I have the same dilemma (sp?) with the insurance company. From what I've read on this board even Subaru won't notice the remap, so how would the insurance co. find out....

Not sure if I change the centre section though. I'd probably have to declare that. Although what does it go down as? I've already told them about my back box and it just lists as "exhaust - like for like replacement". If I phone up and say I now have a decat centre section I'm sure they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Old 09 March 2004, 08:22 PM
scoobypete
Scooby Regular

Well worth the money imho, went out in my friends car after tek 2 and full de cat, felt much quicker especially through the gears

Pete
Old 09 March 2004, 08:26 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Yass
Have not told Insurance about exhaust or Prodrive rear spoiler, probably a bit of a risk,but where do you stop? Wheels not standard either?
Old 09 March 2004, 08:29 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

No havn't changed the fuel pump yet but saying that havn't done that many miles yet but it's being done in a couple of weeks hopefully
Old 09 March 2004, 09:25 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Now I'm a little confused. What's the difference between an induction kit and an air filter. Is it safe to fit an air filter but not an induction kit? Sorry for all the dumbass questions.

Can somone also confirm that doing a full decat will mean emissions failure at MOT time, but just decatting the centre and keeping the original downpipe will be OK?
Old 09 March 2004, 09:39 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Yass, you can change the middle pipe and still pass emissions test its only when u change the downpipe as well that it would fail. there are two types of middle pipe one with resonator one without. the resonator quietens things down a little. prices for magnex ones are approx £50 more for the resonator ones.
Air filters (Panel filters) go in standard air box already on the car. best choice K&N or Green filter. Induction kits replace standard air box, are noiser and can cause maf problems. panel filters good for upto 340 bhp
ken

Last edited by scooby-k; 09 March 2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 09:46 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

This is an induction kit thats fitted to my car it basically replaced the standard filter & airbox etc

Old 09 March 2004, 10:37 PM
Yass
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I think a phone call to PE is in order. One air filter, decat centre and TEK2 coming up :-)
Old 09 March 2004, 10:51 PM
scoobymanWRC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yass
Thanks for all the help guys. I think a phone call to PE is in order. One air filter, decat centre and TEK2 coming up :-)
I got 282 bhp and 272 torque on my MY00 with just a full scoobysports/hayward n scott exhaust and JR racing panel filter.

I put added the centre section and downpipe a couple of days before getting the remap done - was surprised to see it pull 257 bhp with just the exhaust!

So it may be an idea to do things in stages, start off with the exhaust and filter and then once you have got used to the extra performance go for the remap. I did everything more or less at once, but went for the remap as the group buy was ending - ideally i would have waited as the car felt plenty quick after the decat.
Old 09 March 2004, 10:58 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Guys

Re: Not telling insurers about mods

I understand why you might be tempted not to, but do remember that by doing so you risk invalidating your cover!

Whilst you might be prepared to risk it for "hidden" mods such as some remaps, taking a chance with things such as wheels and exhausts is just asking for trouble.

At least one insurer (LV) doesn't charge for most mods anyway, so when looking for insurance don't just go for the cheapest, enquire about attitude to mods as well.

End of lecture

Last edited by Tentenths; 09 March 2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 11:29 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Wink Tek2 is it worth it?

The EcuTek mapping is very good, but as far as i know the Tek2 is a conservative off the shelf map that will suit most applications, of course it will make more or less power depending on mods but it is not tailor made for your car.

However if you get a Tek3 map, this is a custom tailor made map for your car and any modifications you have on it. This will make the most of any mods you have, and there just happens to be a group buy on at the moment, see the thread in general.

Dan.
Old 10 March 2004, 08:43 AM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

I recently ran a MY98 with PE phase 1 ECU and T75 downpipe only (standard exhaust), and now run MY00 TEK2 with Scoobysport downpipe only. The M98 gave 257 bhp with that set up and 276 with addition decat cente, bb and ITG filter. I guess it would be about the same on the TEK2. The downpipe gives loads of torque (16psi boost from 2500 rpm to 5000+ rpm in 5th) and with standard centre MOTs are no problem.

Grhaam
Old 10 March 2004, 10:26 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by aggs
Neal

Who recommended the uprated fuel pump?Did P.E.reccommend it?
Did you fit it at the same time as the Tek 2 upgrade?
The cold air feed.did you buy a kit for it?

I was hoping to Tek 2 without informing Insurance Co. but changing fuel pumps etc. would be noticed? What do you think?
Hi Aggs

Quite a few people recommended the pump and regulator, the pressure was raised from 3bar to 3.5bar. It ensures a safe map and if you can squeeze more fuel and air in then if mapped correctly you will see more power. I fitted them before the remap, Lateral supply a gauge with the regulator so its real easy to adjust.

I have a KNi cone filter in my MY98 as the MAF is a different type to those used in a MY99-00 car. The cold air feed shouldnt cost you more than £10 and 2 hours of your own time.
All you do is remove the resonator in your drivers side wing (via front wheel arch, 2 bolts and a few clips) and replace it with a cold air feed (drainpipe or flexi hose) from the slats in the front bumper to your air box.

Insurance, up to you what you do! but the fuel pump is an in tank unit and a fuel regulator is a fuel regulator just with a gauge on it! Ask them and tell them your fuel regulator was replaced with an upgraded one as the old one was faulty, will it effect your insurance ?

Liverpool and Victoria dont mind mods as long as you have no engine mods ! e.g. rebore etc.

Cheers

Neal

Last edited by NM; 10 March 2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:13 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

there is a groupbuy on for TEK3 remaps at BRD if you are interested £500 + VAT a real bargain.

there is also a groupbuy for STI group N panel filters that are receiving great reviews from people on here, also the JR racing seems good value as well.

check scoobynet general for both.

this will give you time to get your exhaust sorted ready for the map as well as saving a bit of cash.
Old 12 March 2004, 12:07 AM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

Mine is UK MY00 and i've just done 257bhp at Well lane with just full decat, k&n panel and a fantastic little tweak I learned from John Banks' earlier posts.
Shortening the actuator rod by just 1 whole turn transformed the car. Pre tweak at Well lane was 233bhp. Only other change is Prodrive to Scooby Sport back box. As Dr. Banks said at the time its like fitting a Dawes without all the problems.

And ditch the AE802 Ecu for an 801 or 800. Sorted.

Pay for a Tek2, nah. Pay for a Tek3, now thats a different story........

Martin