Exhaust doubts

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 12:56 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust doubts

Hi.

I had almost made up my mind about which exhaust to buy, but after talking to a friend of mine, ended having some doubts...

My first choice was a Blitz Nur Spec R, back+centre only (no downpipe). Loud, but with the option of the bung to quiet it down for normal usage. Then a friend highly recomended a HKS Hiper (back+centre also?).

What I would like to know about these two is:
- Which one is the loudest?
- In terms of "droning" (i think that's the term normally used), which one is the worst?
- I've been told the Hiper can also have an optional bung. Is this right? Is it available for sale? In terms of noise and droning with the bung inserted, how do the HKS and Blitz compare?

And just a general exhaust question:
- What is the impact of a downpipe on overall exhaust noise?

Sorry about all these questions... I've more or less narrowed it down to those two, depending or not on the HKS having the bung option...

You guys over in the UK have tons of stores and dealers selling parts for the Impreza, and with that comes the ability to have a look (and listen) at different options. In Portugal, where I live, the offer for quality parts for the Impreza is very reduced. The best option is to order from the UK, which doesn't leave us with a margin for error in choosing...

Cheers,

Paulo

Last edited by edge; 09 March 2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 04:39 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

I've got the Nur Spec R, and find it very droney (wagon), but the sound is amazing.
I tried the bung and couldn't beleive the difference it makes.

Quietens down a lot..and sounds more raspy when in.
I only use the bung if i'm doing a really long distance though.

I'm about to change to HKS headers, so i'm hoping it'll still sound good.

Sorry i cant comment on the Hiper though.
Old 09 March 2004, 05:10 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Default I've had a HKS hyper

Not sure if a brand new one comes with the bung, but mine was nearly new & it had the fixing holes for one. I sourced one from grahame goode for about £40 ish delivered.

It's loud allright and it got even louder when i decatted the downpipe, in fact so loud i eventually sold it. Our front door handle & letter box used to rattle when i reversed onto our drive and let it idle and the missus could here me coming home when i was 3 miles away (live in a rural area).

It droned on the motorway journies, unless i put the bung in it, even then it was still loudish, but looked kinda pants.

Looked the dogs nuts though & it gives the better power increase over the blitz. But AFAIK the blitz is louder.

HTH
chris
Old 09 March 2004, 05:35 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

if you're willing to spend that sort of money for a cat back system, give Hayward and Scott in Basildon a call, they hand make systems and make them to your exact requirements, I was quoted about £600 for a cat replacement system, and the quality is excellent, nicely welded seams and they are very helpful, I haven't got their number, but they advertise in Banzai magazine. it really is quality gear!!