Grinding noise from front nearside

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 05:58 PM
L555chris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Grinding noise from front nearside

Hi,
I’ve started hearing a grinding noise from front nearside (passenger side) on my MY98 with 89k on the clock.
· It is most predominant when turning to the right
· Road speed related (doesn’t do it at standstill).
· I don’t think it is doing it in a straight line, sometimes a bit on left handers as well.
· When driving at normal speeds it sounds a bit like a stone stuck in the disc, but if you rock the car back and forth a few feet by hand it sounds like a clicking noise (almost like a bit of plastic or rubber catching)

I’ve had the wheel off this evening and had the car idling in 1st with all wheels off the ground, I can’t seem to isolate the noise, the brake disc was grabbing ever so slightly, it didn’t seem to make the clicking noise with the wheel off the ground. There was a bit of rotational play in the drive-shaft.

Any ideas? Bearing? CV joint? ...Expensive?!

Also I’ve got the car booked in for the rolling road session in Chelmsford on Saturday.. do you think it will be OK to run?

Cheers

Chris
Old 04 March 2004, 06:32 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Sounds a bit like my MY98

I had a large scraping noise in the passenger footwell, it sounded like something had caught underneath the car. Couldnt trace the fault in the dark so drove car over a bump and into a lit area and found nothing. After that the noise had gone apart from a slight ticking noise which sounded like the fan was catching on something. The noise increased during turning sometimes.

Turned out that a couple of bearings had gone in my gearbox. When the car was put up on the lift there was a slight oil leak from one side of the gearbox. The gearbox was hot to touch and so was one of the shafts exiting the box.

Cost, mates rates to remove the box and refit the box

£375 for 3 replacement bearings (including the expensive one) and labour.

If you are anywhere near Leicester I can let you have the number of the guy whom worked on my car.

If it is the gearbox get it looked at ASAP and drive it as little as possible at slow speeds as it wont be long till the fault causes more damage !

Cheers

Neal

Last edited by NM; 04 March 2004 at 06:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 March 2004, 07:50 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the wheel bearing to me!

I had exactly the same thing. I did'nt think it could be the wheel bearing because there was no noise at higher speeds but when turning and going slowly all i could hear was scraping. When the bearing wears it gives you movement and its the disc that you hear scraping because of it moving from side to side

Scott
Old 05 March 2004, 09:30 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

hmmm, I get that sometimes too when turning Right. sounds like a bag of spanners. Car's only done 16k MY02, surely it couldn't be my gearobox? Still goes like stink and hardly happens
Old 05 March 2004, 11:23 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

IMO

Got to be a wheel bearing.

A cv joint would make a rattle or clicking noise.

A gear box would only do it either in certain gears or the sound would be directly proportional to speed (louder/higher pitch,at higher speeds).

Well at least I hope for your sake.

ps I have a hub/bearing if your interested.
Old 05 March 2004, 11:27 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hybwrx2002
hmmm, I get that sometimes too when turning Right. sounds like a bag of spanners. Car's only done 16k MY02, surely it couldn't be my gearobox? Still goes like stink and hardly happens
However this sounds like a cv joint.
Check behind your wheel for signs of grease.Turn the wheel full lock and check behind the left front wheel.
Would be rare for the gater to split at this age/mileage.
Old 15 March 2004, 05:26 PM
L555chris
Scooby Regular

Question Am I being stupid?

Hi,
I went to extreme scoobies, they thought it was the bearing. I bought a bearing kit from camskill online for £55 and was going to have a go at fitting it myself and find an engineering shop to do the press fitting, when disassembling the car I was expecting to have to hang off the end of the breaker bar to get the drive shaft end nut off, however it did come off without too much persuasion (about half effort at end of breaker bar) and I suspect a lot of that force was just overcoming the final bit of the nut safety push in tab which I didn’t fully knock out.
I then tightened the nut up again with a bit more force, managed to get it another 20-30 deg tighter than it was before, I thought I heard the bearing clicking noise when I lowered it off the jack and when I went out of the drive, but after that it has been silent, I’ve driven it about 30 miles now and I haven’t heard a squeak out of it, do you think it is likely that the route cause was a nut working loose, or is that more likely to be a symptom of a bearing gone causing torque drop off on the nut?

Thanks for your opinions,

Chris
Old 15 March 2004, 07:59 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

I still get an occasional 'dragging' noise from the front passenger footwell area..
thought it might be CV- but no. no one else who jhad driven it has managed to recreate it (TSL/Scoobyclinic) and the annoying part is, it happens when slowing down..
Old 15 March 2004, 09:34 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

Oh god this hasn't cheered me up one bit!

Drivers side, every so often sounds like stone trapped, changed to 4-pots and new discs, oh crap noise back, this time kept going with speed. Stop off at tesco's do shop, no noise. Go for a quick run, no noise. WTF is going on? This new rad, new windscreen and the f'in MOT tomorrow I feel like giving the soddin' car away!