Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

this REALLY will be the last time i bother you guys for i/cooler splitter advice but,

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 04:56 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this REALLY will be the last time i bother you guys for i/cooler splitter advice but,

asked a few questions recently about splitters and getting a seal to the intercooler and after having a look today i have a bit more info for somone to give a 'best course of action' to if possible please.

if you look at the pics there is a 'funnel' protruding out the bottom of the splitter plate and around this i have put the original rubber apron, with the scoop off today i can see a good seal on the right hand side (nearside), a 5-8mm gap along the back, an 8mm gap tapering to 12mm on the offside and a 12mm gap along the front of the intercooler.

so what's best? -

packing up the intercooler to close up the gaps? (not really tilting, more of leveling up)

fitting a deeper rubber apron? (not to sure if this will sit on or in the lip of the intercooler yet)

or fitting strips of sponge or rubber tubing along the top of the i/cooler to shut off the gap when bonnet is closed?

any thoughts on the above or any other ideas would be very much appreciated

cheers

Old 03 March 2004, 08:29 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

My choice would be fitting strips of spong on rubber strip on top of the I.C.

All the methods you have mentioned should work but the above seems the easiest.

Raising the IC will probably stress/pull the pipes attached to the throttle body and turbo. These i have always found hard to fit with things all standard so the stress on them would probably be considerable.

an extended rubber lip sounds ok too.

Just my thoughts

All the best

Franko
Old 03 March 2004, 09:03 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers mate yeah, not to keen on moving the intercooler, gonna be a bit of work machining various thickness spacers to get the gap closed correctly.

strips of sponge seems easiest at the mo, have to see what's laying about at work

ta