Advice on upgrading.

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 06:30 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on upgrading.

Hi there.

I'm thinking of adding a couple of mods to my MY03 WRX STI. What I would like to do is add a blow-off valve and an Afterburner exhaust. I need something that will be easy to fit and remove.

Which valve do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that it easy to fit and give's a great whoosh noise. Price range of about £150 to £200.

I'm tempted to get an Afterburner exhaust, since I hear that they are specially made to fit Subaru's. I'm not looking for any flame-throwers mind, just something that will boot the car about 30BHP'ish, with a nice idle noice and growl to match.

I'm a novice with these things, so I better check beforehand - what will I need to purchare with the exhaust? I hear that I might need a new centre section/back box? Can someone shed some light for me on this?

I saw a few items on the www.scoobyworld.co.uk site:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolley...x.htm#baileydv
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolley...ex.htm#swninja

Which one of these would you recommend?

Thanks.
Jas.

Last edited by MrClyfar; 23 February 2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 23 February 2004, 07:20 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of adding a couple of mods to my MY03 WRX STI. What I would like to do is add a blow-off valve and an Afterburner exhaust. I need something that will be easy to fit and remove, just so that I don't void the warranty when I take the car in for servicing.
Er, you've got that a bit *rs* about face. It's modifying your car in the first place that invalidates the warranty. If something goes wrong with your car and you remove the mods before claiming on said warranty, you're committing fraud, which is an offence, and Subaru UK are investing more and more resources into investigating this sort of thing.

Which valve do you guys recommend?
The one that comes with the car. It's more than up to the job and doesn't screw with the fuelling, which all the atmospheric ones do to a greater or lesser extent. If you want something that makes silly noises, there are plenty of options.

I'm tempted to get an Afterburner exhaust, since I hear that they are specially made to fit Subaru's. I'm not looking for any flame-throwers mind, just something that will boot the car about 30BHP'ish,
Jeesh, you don't want much, do you? No exhaust system change, especially a backbox alone, will get you 30bhp extra.

The only option that would get you anywhere near would be a full decat system, and you wouldn't want to be taking that off and back on every time you have the car serviced. Even if you tried, it'd be glaringly obvious to the service engineers what you'd done.

If you want a bit more noise, without voiding your warranty, get the WR Sport back box.

If you want 30bhp (well, 40bhp) extra, more noise, better driveability and want to keep your warranty, buy the PPP.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 23 February 2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 23 February 2004, 07:48 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Hi again.

Didn't mean to raise any fraud issues, as you say. I just thought that, ragardless of the warranty situation, changing the car spec a little with dump valves and bigger exhausts was something that many people do.

I'll look into the PPP option instead.

Cheers.
Jas.