Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lost 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 10:57 PM
Ging@moo_ee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lost 5th gear

i cannot for the life of me get the car into 5th. All the other gears seem fine although abit notchy (spelling??).

Any ideas before i take the car (my99) to the garage on friday.

cheers
Stuart
Old 17 February 2004, 12:18 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by not being able to get the car into fifth? You can't put the lever in at all (without a load of noise and complaints), or you can put it in, but don't get any drive when you lift off the clutch?

Problems with fifth gear are a known issue on some MY99 boxes, normally related to the input shaft locknut working loose. Has it been dropping out of fifth on a trailing throttle at all?

Is the car under any sort of warranty?
Old 17 February 2004, 10:01 AM
Ging@moo_ee
Scooby Regular

No noise or jumping, just can't move the lever up into fifth, it'll move across but not up into gear. Is the locknut a big job? cheers greasemonkey.

Stuart
Old 17 February 2004, 10:44 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

I did the locknut on mine. Its a fairly big job, took me about 10 hours. I wrote a thread on it last year with my old user name Jamz25. Greasemonkey did it himself and I explained what I did. Your problem does not sound like the locknut as you would have it gradually starting to jump out of gear on a trailing throttle, as GM describes, as the nut works its self loose. But I've only experienced this once on my own car so it could be anything really.

Jamie
Old 17 February 2004, 10:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As Jamie says Stu, it doesn't sound like the typical MY99 gearbox problem. When you try and stick it in, does the stick simply not want to go forward, or do you hear nasty noises and get a load of kickback through the gearstick when you try?

Sounds more like a selector problem than anything else, does it go into reverse alright?

Whether it's the locknut or not, it'll be a gearbox job out job for the garage to find out what's going on, so it'll be a few hours labour on the bill before they got as far as diagnosing the problem.
Old 17 February 2004, 11:41 PM
Ging@moo_ee
Scooby Regular

Driving home tonight and it seemed fine (still notchy), but a mile from my house it did it again. Like you said it doesn't want to go forward into gear. Once in fifth the car drives fine, its just abit strange its fine one minute then goes.