Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Apexi AVC R Boost Controller???

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2004, 06:32 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi AVC R Boost Controller???

Can someone tell me what this is,i realise its a boost controller.Its expensive so i guess its good.
I have a my96wrx full decat and power engeneering map,with dawes device.Would the Apexi be the next move for me?Do they need to be installed to a vehicle with a certain stage of tuning?
I am booked in for a rolling road set up,mainly just to check all is well with fueling etc.
What im trying to find out is there any benifit from buying one of these appart from the fact that they look very nice?

Many questions i know,all answers appreciated

Cheers
Old 15 February 2004, 07:55 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 15 February 2004, 08:42 AM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Main benefits of it over your Dawes are it can have 3 preset boost levels(wastegate control and 2 selectables).It can increase boost in realtion to rpm and the gear you are in and theoretically give better spoolup and less chance of tailoff and spiking.
Old 15 February 2004, 08:59 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skiddus_markus
Main benefits of it over your Dawes are it can have 3 preset boost levels(wastegate control and 2 selectables).It can increase boost in realtion to rpm and the gear you are in and theoretically give better spoolup and less chance of tailoff and spiking.
Skiddus markus
Thanks for info.Do you know if the guys at power engineering would be able to set one up and give me a bit of training on how to use it?
I am very happy with my power and drivability just looking to make things more controlable,Dont think thats a word but you get my drift.
Lastly i would like to hear from someone that has one installed on a classic
Old 15 February 2004, 07:45 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Why do you want to swap away from the Dawes? The benefit of the AVC-R is that it allows you to map a boost level against a rev point, allowing for higher boost through the mid-range.

Richard
Old 16 February 2004, 12:51 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I've got one on a classic - marvellous thing, but £££ if you don't need it.
I use a Link, which has an 'interesting' method of boost control. I couldn't persuade it to work very well, anyway (it insisted on hanging the wastegate open which delayed the spool point by ~ 1,500rpm). So... on went a Dawes. Spool-point right down, but the boost came on with such a slam (there's a fair-sized turbo in there ) that I'd find myself going sideways when I didn't want to. So on went the AVC-R - spool point stayed where it was with the Dawes, but I could control the boost better with my foot (ie less going sideways at inopportune moments ).

But it's only worth getting one if you have problems with the Dawes, IMHO. I doubt that PE would help you set it up, & they are really quite excitingly complicated!