Alternative to PPP on MY01

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2001, 05:50 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi All
What alternatives are out there to give the same performance increase as the PPP and at the same time cost less than the £1600 PPP price tag?

Regards to most
Pete
Old 06 October 2001, 08:07 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Pete, me again

1. Full Scoobysport exhaust system inc downpipe and up-pipe.
Old 06 October 2001, 08:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Scoobysport exhaust system get a good write up from folk on here and in the magazines, and particularly helps MY01. Could also fit and electronic boost controller eg HKS EVC 4 and set the boost to 17PSI and you would probably have similar (£500) but no warranty. Could also consider Link ECU - not sure if available on 01 yet? Or Unichip. Do some searches.

Overall, PPP is a good package, gives excellent midrange performance, is fit and forget, adds to resale value and retains your warranty.

John
MY00 PPP + Downpipe + induction
Old 08 October 2001, 05:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport exhaust + DP and UP
Link for masses of power (270/280 lb/ft)

BUT

if it goes bang (as my PPP did) you end up paying as you will loose your warrenty if its been modded at all.

My dealer says IM are now looking harder and being very strict about any mods (so dont think they will go unnoticed) - stricter than before and even modded Air Filters are warrenty voiders.

They are even paying people to photo cars at track days so they can get out of paying up

Jza
Old 08 October 2001, 07:22 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Question

Jza

Missed the thread about your car going bank

What was resolved

Phil
Old 09 October 2001, 09:47 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

ECU was faulty - they swopped it with another PPP's ecu and it works again.

Great start!!!!

Jza

Old 09 October 2001, 10:26 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Peter

Have you tried a MY01 PPP because you're right to look at alternatives? I did last weekend and to be honest I don't know what people rave about! If it wasn't for the exhaust noise I wouldn't have know it was PPP'd. I have driven a standard MY01 as well and I can't say the difference was significant - it certainly didn't make me get the cheque book out.

My misses said she thought it was faster from the passenger seat though, if that helps! I suppose with hind sight, it could have been a bit faster than std and it did sound better.

IMHO your money is better spent on a de-cat DP and full exhaust, you'll definitely feel the difference. Forget induction systems as well unless you want noise, but add if going the 'link' route as this total package will be optimised and give you the 'oh my god' factor. If you buy new (or better still, second hand)you should be cheaper than PPP.

As other people have said, it will depend on your warranty worries as to which way you go. Just make sure you have a good drive in the above 'flavour' cars to decide first.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this reply but if anyone can show me a MY01 PPP, which is genuinely faster than stock, then I'm willing to change my opinion.

F

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 03:19 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Floyd:
<B>Peter

Have you tried a MY01 PPP because you're right to look at alternatives? I did last weekend and to be honest I don't know what people rave about! If it wasn't for the exhaust noise I wouldn't have know it was PPP'd. I have driven a standard MY01 as well and I can't say the difference was significant - it certainly didn't make me get the cheque book out.

F[/quote]

I have never 'urd such b@llox in my life!!!

You cant have driven the two mate!!! They are so different!!!! Your either a) lying or b) there was something wrong with the car

The performance is totally different - the PPP'd car pulls so much harder!!!!
And ive owned an MY01 for 9 months before having it PPP'd!!

Jza
Old 10 October 2001, 09:40 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

My MY01 is PPP'd and although it makes the car a bit more usable (e.g. less need to downshift) it doesn't transform the car.
Old 11 October 2001, 12:20 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Jza here. I had my MY01 for 6 months before it was PPP'd, so I was very much in tune with the car and what it was capable of. Since my recent PPP, I have found that I am re-learning it all over again. The PPP has made a "massive" difference and I throughly recommend it.

It does help if the car has been well run in first. This seems to be the biggest bottleneck on performance.

I would love to see some test figures of a well run-in PPP'd MY01 and compare that to the standard performance.
Old 11 October 2001, 12:31 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Red face

Floyd

8000 Pre PPP Good but no cigar
5000 Post PPP the fat ladies singing

Can't believe you couldn't tell the difference

Sorry I'm with Jza on this one

Phil
Old 11 October 2001, 01:36 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't understand you guys, I've tried both std and PPP'd MY00 and MY01 flavours and I can't see why I'd want to spend £1600+. I have had them on a long drive and on my own, without a salesman, so I wasn't holding back.

As I said before "I know I'm gonna get flamed for this reply but if anyone can show me a MY01 PPP, which is genuinely faster than stock, then I'm willing to change my opinion."

Maybe I'm looking for a fundamental difference in performance whereas you guys are trying to justify the outlay (to yourselves?) .

MY00 UK to a MY00 STI = big difference.
MY00 UK to a MY00 PPP = are you sure it's PPP'd?

Bring it on.
F

Old 11 October 2001, 02:40 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

its easy to see where Flyod gets the idea from, it is hard to tell the difference between MY01 and MY01PPP with test drives. If i could be bothered i'd dig up my post on PPP when i had it fitted as for 2 days afterwards i was hesitant to be to praising of it as it didn't feel that it justified such praise.

However the reality is that its quicker, when you live with it you notice how you arrive at corners faster, overtake quicker, need less rev chasing, etc.

the problem, if you can call it that, with the MY01 is the ride quality. does concord feel quicker than a 747 when your at 30,000 feet watching tv?

if we all chose to sit in the dark ages driving crappy tin boxes around then we could all brag about how an extra layer of wax makes a difference to top end speed.

but we dont, we drive modern cars that overtake people at warp speed leaving them wondering what it was, Meanwhile we sit in them wondering if the optimax is noticible because it dont feel all that quick!

Tiggs
Old 12 October 2001, 01:27 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

Cant see how you didnt notice the difference. I did pulling out of the first junction!!!

Car pulls in first and second like a b@stid and scared me to death the first time i nailed it!!! After 4500 revs it goes banzai!!!!

It is SO much better i really wonder if some cars (mine) respond better to the PPP than others (yours)??

Floyd,

When you test drive a performance car, try ACCELERATING HARD and then you'll notice the difference immediately

No need for me to justify the price of the PPP - the car should be made with a PPP fitted as standard IMHO. Budget to have one fitted and you'll be laughing.

A PPP'd MY01 sets you back 23k - find me a new car with that performance/handling/practicality/comfort available today for the same price - you cant!!!! Thats 318i money!!!

Jza

Jza
Old 13 October 2001, 09:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jza

You cheeky monkey my foot was hard on the floor! I even shouted "I'm excelerating now" to make sure the passengers new when to judge the difference.

The best difference so far on a mod that I've experienced was from a standard exhaust to a full decat - you knew immediately that the pick-up was better and the car had broken it's 'reigns'.

I do understand that on some cars it may take more than a test drive to appreciate the improvement, but if that's the case then it's not a 'night and day' difference is it?

Any tuning on a catted car is always fighting against a major restriction and is not giving it's best.

Peter, go for a DP and centre first (any make will do, although Pete C's SS one has sorted the engine check light prob)you can leave the std BB because you'll still get a big improvement IMHO. Use the money left over on Eibachs and bump steer.

F
Old 14 October 2001, 10:42 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

had a go in uk300 ppp on friday night, didnt shock me to think wow! it was smooth and refined, very nice but then i took him out in mine my00 and it felt more like a subaru. i know the superchips are unreliable and flame suit needed when mentioned, but i had a go in my01 chipped and that defo felt more manic, when it got to 4000rpm it went like a scalded cat! just my opion. flamesuit on. Lee