Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

97MY+Link+VF23 = BOOST sudden drop...arrrhhh...!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:52 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be your inlet pipe collapsing under vacuum? I've heard of this b4... I think the samco hose should have some reinforcement to prevent this. How 'crush resistant' is the pipe in your hand?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 02 October 2001, 09:19 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi all, my car has recently welcomed a sudden drop in BOOST!
My car is UK97MY, Linked, VF23 and Samco hoses throughout, Scoobysport throughout and HKS panel filter. It was recently mapped
successfully with this hardware and was mapped to run at circa. 1.28Bar max boost.

Recently I have had my Samco Turbo inlet hose replaced as the original Samco ones were deemed slightly too short and was nearly falling off the turbo inlet under load conditions. Samco have now retooled
there machine that makes them and the new one is now longer and fits much better.

However, with the older one, my car held a strong 1.28Bar all the way through the RPM range. But since fitting the update one, it now drops to about 0.7Bar above 6000rpm.
Although usually the intake manifold is removed to fit these Samco units, in this case it didn't have to be removed as the Samco ones can be eased out (Samco hose very flexible and easier to pull out than the OEM plastic one).

I have spoken with the guy who fitted it and he has assured me that all the
inlet pipe spigots are zipped clipped and jubilee clipped up tight.
I have also Spoken to mapper and he also assures me that the map cannot be at fault and a faulty 3 port solenoid is also unlikely.
It is difficult to check but all seems to be normal. As a precaution I have replaced all Vacuum pipes in case of splits and zip clipped them up tight also.
I can't help thinking that it may be the standard 97MY BOV or somewhere in that path. It is almost as though she holds boost fine, then all of sudden drops like a stone and holds there
It feels like something is bleeding away, could it be the remote 97MY BOV
itself or could it be wastegate actuator. I have heard issues/concerns with both???

Sorry for long waffley note, but I need help urgently.... Jacko.
Old 02 October 2001, 01:24 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi jacko how are you mate. you are doing the right thing replacing all the tubes first.
you need to go a process of elimination kind of thing.

first try a different soleniod if you have it, to make sure it does not take that long anyway.

second block the dump valve all together and see if you are still not holding boost ? if you are then get a new one

another thing, how old is your clutch ? with all this power it may just be starting to slip at the top end.

i am sure there is more causes but these are the ones i have experienced so far

sam
Old 02 October 2001, 08:56 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi D, Hi Sam!

Still faffing about with that pipe heh! I am still waiting for Mr G's letter to say yes he does remember seeing the pipe I rtn and pay me the money back and what he is going to do about the labour cost I had to pay to fit. Anyway that's another story...

I spoke to Steve about your problem and we thought it was the actu and boost sol. Steve will call you with a test to eliminate those two suspects..;-)

Hope your car gets well soon m8!

Moe

Old 03 October 2001, 12:39 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi there
have you tried to clean your soleniod ?
just take the vac pipes off and connect it to the battery, and spray some carb cleaner, takes about ten minutes if you hear it clicking open and shut then that also will tell you that it is ok.

i know someone who has a 3 port that he does not use and maybe selling his car, assuming that it is the offending item.

0.7bar is the around the same pressure the turbo wastergate uses to open and shut so maybe you have a sticky wastegate, grap the rod and see if it moves freely

i have got a feeling that it will have to do with those turbo to intercooler hoses that you fitted last. can't you just remove the intercooler and see if there is not leaks ?

hi TC

sam
Old 03 October 2001, 12:52 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Re Sam's post...

If your wastegate had seized open boost rise would be very, very slow. If it had seized closed, you would hitting your map fuel cut all the time as this would be the only way left to control boost!.

I agree that you should 'back out' whatever the last change was before you noticed this problem. If it still exists, you have eliminated it from your enquiries

Cheers,

Alex
Old 03 October 2001, 09:07 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi AlexM, not sure about Samco pipe collapsing under vacuum???? it is very soft and pliable but not sure if they could sell it under that pretence. Thanks for your input though I will ask around.....MOE????.....SAM?????.....AWSOME?????

Hi Moe/Sam, how's the quest for the baddest UK going? A reliable source had led me to believe, that Mark (R19KET) is due to take up this mantle very soon
I am not in your league but I do think it's crazy what us sad bar5tards are spending our money on
I don't have a spare 3port Boost solenoid but I did plug the BOV inlet hose with a piece of Dia35mm cylindrical plastic and a jubilee clip. **** me, it held boost a lot better/stronger and picked up a lot better which would suggest that my BOV is not up to the job anyway????
However, I am not sure it has resolved the problem that I have. I will give Steve a call in a minute (give him time to wake up and have a cup of diesel for breakfast!), but can you guys fill me in on what your theory is concerning the boost solenoid/actuator????

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2001, 10:16 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Jacko,

The occasion I have heard of this happening before related specifically to a new samco hose collapsing at the elbow at full load / high rpm- it required a metal ring to be inserted to support it, and this resolved the problem.

This behaviour would be consistent with the problem occurring after you swapped the inlet pipe. AFAIK, A faulty solenoid would leave you with the boost pressure equal to the wastegate spring pressure (7 psi?) throughout the rev range.

If you are still using the standard airbox and a panel filter the pressure drop across the filter could be sufficient to collapse the host at v. high airflows.. Try disconnecting the inlet hose from the airbox to see if it still chokes at high revs.

Then again I could be talking rubbish, so try changing the BOV too.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 03 October 2001, 01:51 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi Darren,

Good to talk today, glad you got the problem sorted! did you order your new Bov????;-)

Sam looking forward to meet you at the Nov RR, heard a lot about you m8.

Regards

Moe (TC)
Old 03 October 2001, 06:09 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

TC
are you going to cadwell or Donni ? i should be there

they are all rumours

sam
Old 03 October 2001, 07:46 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Nah, It's going to take me a good month to get the car ready for the Nov R&R don't want to increse complecations/other stuff I need to worry about from track slagging it!

Maybe just come and watch.

Rdgs

Moe
Old 03 October 2001, 08:27 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

TC
track days are what our cars are all about mate , keeping up in a straight line with a 400+bhp r33 and over taking it in the wet gives me great sasticfaction .
i have done a track day every two weeks over the past 2 months usually average around 1 or two per month almost all year round

rolling roads are just a tuning exercise
Old 04 October 2001, 10:16 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam,

I do agree with you and surprised you go so freq, you must be very good. But this R&R is being looked upon as a show down/up, cant risk it before than or I will get the comment that I am making excuses for a poor run because my wheel bearings are shagged or my turbo's core is buggered and so on...I think you see what I mean.

See you around soon

Moe
Old 04 October 2001, 03:24 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Wink

OI! u 2....stop Hijacking my thread .
Oh and by the way, since taking every bl@@dy hose off and refitting etc I think my boost prob has gone
I bet that bl@@dy 'Awsome' has been playing with his Sindy VOODOO dolls again, putting gremlins in me fanimold...I'm gonna have words
Never mind, I should still be picking up my APS BOV tomorrow, tut tut!

LOL @ 'Track slagging it'

Jacko (non track slag, cos I'm afraid she'll go pop!)