Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is this normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2001, 11:30 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When driving at a steady 3500-4000 revs in second and then flooring it it seems to be booged down to about 5000 revs then you can here the turbo spool up and things start getting fun again. From a standing start everything is great. Is this normal or is there some kind of mechanical problem ?

Thanks

David

MY99 PPP
Old 30 September 2001, 10:05 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you hold the revs steady at this sort of range in second gear say and then floor it the ECU thinks this is an emissions and noise test and it only holds about 10PSI or less. If you lift momentarily just before flooring it it should not happen. The other less likely possibility is overboost as flooring the car in 2nd at these revs on my car with PPP as originally installed produced 19PSI of boost and then the boost pulled right back and oscillated as you continued to accelerate. But this is not what you are describing I don't think as you are saying it feels bogged down from the word go - if you were overboost it would feel *VERY* good for a second or two and then quite disappointing.

If this doesn't solve it, worth getting the car on a select monitor so you can check there are no errors, and check what the boost is doing. Otherwise consider a boost gauge.

The other thing - is this a new problem - or has it always done it and you've only just noticed?
Old 30 September 2001, 10:16 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, can't say if its a new problem as I only noticed it while waiting to overtake the other day on a country lane. I'll take it out today and try lifting before I boot. Think I'll get a boost gauge anyway to monitor it in future.

Let you know how I get on.

David
Old 30 September 2001, 10:26 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The waiting to overtake is the classic scenario, or trying to get away from a Novaboy off a r'bt!

Obviously don't lift if your are pushing it on a bend at the time - would hate to see a telegraph pole through the side of your car in the member's gallery