Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

SS exhaust,pops and bangs

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2001, 11:16 PM
scoobytwo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to check,with full ss exhaust system is it normal on slowing up to pop and bang, sometimes quite loud.Also,will I be defeating object of having downpipe fitted if I were to replace centre section with original cat section,as I'm probably a bit older than most [40] I didn't realise it was going to be quite as loud as it actually is!!! and will this affect performance.Would be nice to know if there are any other[how should I put it without offending] more mature in age persons that have this system. Martin.
Old 25 September 2001, 11:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martin,
I've got the downpipe and backbox, the sound is far from intrusive, it's very liveable with, I don't think that you'll lose that much by changing the centre section back. Let me know if you want to sell the centre, I'll have it.
Ron
ps, pops and bangs are normal for full system.
Old 25 September 2001, 11:25 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Pops and bangs...that's the best bit about it.

Old 25 September 2001, 11:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DP with PPP centre and backbox is quiet. Someone may be willing to swap you, but not me!
Old 25 September 2001, 11:50 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Talking

I agree that pops & bangs are great!!! I'll have a full Scoobymania system by the end of the week which i'm lead to believe is a lot louder that the Scoobysport.

To quote Favour Flav from Public Enemy "Bring the Noise!!"

MAFFA

Old 25 September 2001, 11:51 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Talking

I agree that pops & bangs are great!!! I'll have a full Scoobymania system by the end of the week which i'm lead to believe is a lot louder that the Scoobysport.

To quote Flavour Flav from Public Enemy "Bring the Noise!!"

MAFFA

Old 26 September 2001, 01:14 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Scoobytwo

I'm an old git too, and with the PPP conversion on the car, one of the best bits is the BLAT from the pipe as you change from third down to second, oh as well as the very audiable PSSWWW from the engine when you accelerate through the gears.

All this is relative to the noise, and flames from my X-flow Caterham SS which must register on the Richter scale, and can set off car alarms at 25 metres. So don't worry.

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2001, 06:54 AM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

Why does adding a free-flow exhaust lead to pops and bangs ?
Did so on my car too after a 3" mongoose treatment.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:19 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Unburnt fuel on over run from running rich no longer gets caught by the cat so when it meets with oxygen in hot surroundings it burns with a pop.

PS. have had scoobymania and scoobysport and I would not say scoobysport is any quieter. Scoobymania has a meatier deeper sound, but is not particularly louder.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:49 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The standard system also pops and bangs, if you listen for them. But the rear silencer uses a Helmhost layout, so that the sound waves are inversed and pretty much cancel out.

Its not running any richer, and this doesn't happen on Phase II cars, as the ECU cuts all fuel on over run.
Old 26 September 2001, 01:42 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Martin,

I've currently got a standard downpipe, Straight through J.P.I centre section and J.P.I Backbox. The sound is aggressive under acceleration but deep chested at idle

I get my best pops and bangs (and sometimes "whip" like Cracking ) when I am engine breaking in 3rd or 2nd after a stint on a dual carriage way or motorway.

I find that with the engine breaking and a very,very gentle touch on the accelerator, induces some fab noises.

I think that the tiny pressure injects a bit of fuel into the system (Over-riding the ECU, see pete's comment) and with the exhaust being really hot due to sustained motorway use, BANG

Certainly makes people back off after they have been chasing you

I wonder if there are ikkle flames that are visible at night?

MIKEY

PS don't 4get to have ya rear windows slightly open for the full effect and if you are passing a wall, doing a tunnel or any other object that can return sound, be prepared for aural heaven
Old 26 September 2001, 02:54 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scoob2
After the raving reviews of a certain mr Banks I was "tricked" into fitting a Magnex d/p catless from falkland.
HotDamn! my MY00 PPP really flies now and no noise increase decibell-wise just more variety of noises low down with the window down(turbo hiss, blowoff ) very pleasant in a teenage sort of way and hey i am 37 ! So I think it is also what other exhaust parts you have on apart from d/p ,the prodrive scorpion bb was always a quiet fellow.
Old 26 September 2001, 06:40 PM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

Cool

adam,

is it just the catless exhaust that makes scoobies pop and bang on over-run ? . the reason i am asking is that i have a catless exhaust , and i used to have a dump to atmos. dump valve which i removed due to the noise and now my car no longer does this , regardless of how i drive ........ is this correct ?

thanks
slim
Old 26 September 2001, 07:19 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Smile

Never mind the pops and bangs i get flames out my zaust back box !
Old 26 September 2001, 08:46 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by slimshady:
<B>adam,

i used to have a dump to atmos. dump valve which i removed due to the noise and now my car no longer does this , regardless of how i drive ........ is this correct ?

thanks
slim [/quote]

Its possible that your dump to atmos makes the car run slightly richer than normal, obviously this would increase the amount of unburnt fuel etc.

Old 27 September 2001, 12:48 AM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just fitted an SS Backbox and centre section. Great bass sound, not too loud for the wife !! - and allows an old fart (55) to still grin every day !!
Old 27 September 2001, 07:50 AM
scoobytwo
Scooby Newbie

Dont get me wrong,I do like the pops and bangs,just needed to know if it was normal.Does anyone know what the Magnex resonated centre section is,and what price and if this would just tone noise slightly as the Scoobysport is great sounding but just LOUD LOUD!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by scoobytwo (edited 27 September 2001).]