Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dump valve and back box, help a new driver out :)

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 10:34 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi,
I am a new my99 owner, and would like some advice on some mods I am thinking of, yet don’t know much about them.

Firstly, at the expense of sounding very fickle, and naive, the Dump valve, or blow off (this item that makes the loud whoosh noise when releasing turbo pressure) Does it have a noticeable effect on performance of is it simply the interesting noise?
I have seen some at a cost of 89 pounds from a company. ( I don’t realy want to spend that much on it as there are a few mods I am looking at) is 89 a fair price? I have seen them a blitz fro in excess of 200 *gulp*

Secondly Exhaust
All seem to rave about the sccobysports exhaust (this I am considering)
BUT…. During a visit to my local motor world, they had on sale some 3" and 4" back boxes starting at 90 pounds. Alarm bells start ringing here, when there is such a price difference, but has any0one had any experience with this type of back box? As if there are only minimal disadvantages to it, then im sure I can live with it for the price.

I would greatly appreciate as many view points on these 2 subjects as possible, it would greatly help out a newbi impreza driver.

Thank you very much for your time.

P.s anyone know where I can get a cheep sti type spoiler (or similar, to replace my existing one)
Old 26 September 2001, 10:46 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First the only effect changing the dump value will have is making a bigger whoosh. WARNING: buying one you will have the urge to take out a subscription to Max Power mag.

Exhausts come in loads of different shapes , sizes, sounds and prices. Attend a local meet and look and listen to as many as possible before spending any money.

Finally for a spoiler, post a request in the wanted section and keep your ear to the ground in the private section.