Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Intake hoses, which one is better .....

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2001, 04:00 PM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A popular modification is to take out the stock intake pipe (the one that connects the turbo with the airbox) and replace it with a wider unit.
There is the Samco Inlet Pipe, which is very similar to the STi original item (only a lot cheaper) but I really don't know if it is as rigid as the STi item. This part is available from GGR, Forge Motorsport, etc.
And there is the other BPM, MRT, AVO inlet pipe which is bigger and is not intended to be used with the original airbox (although it can be adapted).
Has anyone tried any of these and felt a difference, I personally have seen both, and found that the Samco pipe is a lot softer than the BPM, MRT unit ..... but easier to install on the ver 3 and ver 4 (MY97 and MY98) WRX's.

Carlos H.
Old 21 September 2001, 05:21 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

I am not going to say much, but me and 3 others have bought the Samco one, looks good etc but would be even better if the damn thing fit especially after removing the inlet manafold (3hr lbr time one way) I would go for the MRT venturi pipe it is worth making it adapt! I have heard goods feedback on this, proformance, cost, quality and it fits!!!

Hope that helps

TC
Old 21 September 2001, 05:50 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Moe,

I thought the Ventri pipe was an up-pipe and not the inlet hose, which both you and Carlos are taking about!

Anyway, I've heard of people with the Samco inlet hose having problems getting them fitted as it's a little shorter than it needs to be! (Turbo end I think)

I've had the MRT inlet hose installed on my car, and Steve Lawson tells me it was a bitch to fit, but it's better than the Samco option!

It could do with being about 1-2mm longer on the filter end, but it's on and stable!

Andy

PS - It's finished in red silicon (although the MRT website shows a blue one), which compliments to the APS hoses perfectly!!

Old 21 September 2001, 06:09 PM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Thanx for your replies TopCat and Andy ..... My friend has fitted the Samco pipe in his STi ver 4, and there was no trouble, maybe the length is short on UK cars (turbo end) but with the IHI VF units the length was good.
What I am looking for is basically performance, because as I told you guys, I have seen both, and the MRT unit seems to be a little harder ..... and me think that with boost the hose should not expand.

Carlos H.
Old 22 September 2001, 10:18 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Time for a shameless plug

We can supply these, specifically at first for the later cars, so you have none of the unnecessary openings to blank off, in any colour you would like - within reason

These are a NAM product, developed by a highly regarded poster on here and sold through us.

Price is cheap

Old 23 September 2001, 02:07 AM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Craig, can you send me a picture and info ($$$) to my email ..... and do you have these inlet hoses for the earlier ver 3 and ver 4 (MY 97 - 98) models ?????

Carlos H.

Old 24 September 2001, 12:17 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

I fitted the Samco pipe and found that it could have done with another 1/2" or so at the turbo end (I ain't metrificated yet). Having said that, it fitted without distorting after a good push on and hasn't moved since with the clip nice and tight. I also managed to fit it without removing the manifold but this meant chiselling off two of the stubs on the original pipe. It has made a noticeable difference to performance and the dump valve (Forge) sounds better too

Raymond (MY98)

Trending Topics

Old 24 September 2001, 09:21 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I tried to resist this note, but my conscience got the better of me!!!!

I have a UK 97MY with an IHI VF23 and I have tried, 2 off these P$XY Samco Turbo inlet hoses. The first one, I didn't bother trying to fit as I was told that it was going to be tooooo short, so I rang Samco direct and they concurred that this is the case on some cars. They then sent me a slightly longer one with about 5mm extra length on the Turbo end.
After getting Awesome Lawson to fit, I took her out for a spirited drive. I found that it was starting to ease itself off from the Turbo inlet spigot (******* B$LL$CKS!). Did some quick measurements and came to the conclusion that the hose needs to be at least 20mm longer at the Turbo end. I phoned Samco back and told them and since then they have revised their tooling accordingly. I am still waiting for a replacement hose and I have booked Awesome in again Tomorrow to fit it. I think I better give SAMCO another BL$$BY ring to make sure it arrives for Tomorrow...
The hoses are far better than the OEM UK spec ones and will reduce pressure losses.
I don't know that the revised one is OK yet, but when it's been fitted I'll be sure to re-post a reply.

Take from that what you will...Samco products are obviously world recognised and very good, but IMHO this product is still under question!

Jacko...
Old 24 September 2001, 09:45 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Andy, you are right the Venturi pipe is the Up pipe!.

Carlos, Jacko was the other person I was talking about and he has an IHI turbo like myself and the other person Nito has a HKS turbo.

Jacko, I got a letter from them saying they will give me a full refund, but requesting for the pipe back when this was sent rec delivery with my orignal letter...I have another letter going out to them today.

Looks like I have lost the 6 hours labour time.. I will mention this in the letter.

Moe