Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

SCOOBYSPORT B/BOX, HOW QUIET?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 04:32 PM
CONGEO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SCOOBYSPORT B/BOX, HOW QUIET?

THE NEW JANSPEED SCOOBYSPORT BACKBOX IS ADVERTISED AS HAVING LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN CABIN NOISE COMPARED WITH THE STANDARD B/BOX. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS THE CASE. ANY REPLIES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

N.B I DO WANT IT QUIET (INSIDE), SO NOT TO DEAFEN THE KIDS.
Old 06 February 2004, 04:40 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

bit od a difficult question to answer.

depends how deaf you are.

I am not convinced they are only a little louder than standard. Most back boxes are about improving noise, if you want to improve performance, then remove the cat in the up and down pipes, and retain the standard back box until you can't put up with it any longer.
Old 06 February 2004, 04:57 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I replaced the down pipe and silencer at the same time (MY00) with the Hayward & Scott version, and at idle it wasn't massively louder, just a more defined rumble. When booting it though, I do get heads turning, so it must be sounding alright from the outside... Inside is fine though, idle or booting it.
Old 06 February 2004, 05:05 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I have a full SS Janspeed system and I would say that "noise levels in the cabin are barely increased over standard" only when you are coasting

At all other times (accelerating or on overrun) its noticeably louder than standard. I got used to it after a couple of months....

Don't get me wrong, I love it but I have been thinking about a resonated centre or even a quieter backbox.

Listen before you buy, but do it, you will love the burble
Old 06 February 2004, 05:29 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I have just the SS Janspeed box fitted, cabin noise in general is little changed. There is however an annoying drone at about 2800rpm, which unfortunately is exactly 70MPH in my UK turbo. Another slight downer is the length of the tail pipe, about 2" too long for my liking.

On the upside, it is very well made and gives a worthwhile increase in the burble without being intrusive. Sounds great with the back windows down.
Allan

Old 06 February 2004, 07:55 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I think that a full decat system will be significantly louder than a standard d/p, centre and a SS Janspeed b/box.

I'd like to listen to the two side by side, but I love the turbo whistle mixed in with the burble that you get with the full decat even if it is just a hint too strident for an old fart like me
Old 06 February 2004, 09:35 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

With a standard downpipe and centre pipe on a UK car its the perfect compromise, quiet inside the cabin, but sounds awesome inside. However, beware or full decat, as this is the problem I have. I bought my STI 5 with full decat and a H+S (old style scoobysport) back box, too loud for me. After having the new style Scoobysport box on my UK turbo (without decat!) I thought it would quiet things down, but in fact its made things a touch louder.

If you have both cats in place it'll be the perfect exhaust for you IMHO,

Cheers, cal
Old 07 February 2004, 12:36 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i've got a full janspeed scoobysport exhaust and it slightly louder in the car but nothing to worry about, very load outside though and it always turns heads, the sound they make is just right and i'm still glad i bought it, done a dyno day last year at powerstation and the boys thought mine was the nicest sounding car there.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:16 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Default Scoobysport BB noise VS Prodrive?

For those who have tried both I wonder how the Scoobysport/Janspeed back box sound is compared with Prodrive's one, noisy, more burble etc?
JIM
Old 08 February 2004, 01:57 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

For those who have tried both I wonder how the Scoobysport/Janspeed back box sound is compared with Prodrive's one, noisy, more burble etc?
JIM
I would like to know this as well
Old 09 February 2004, 02:58 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

I've decided to sell my scoobysport back box as its too loud with the decaton my STI V. When I had one fitted to my previous MY 00 turbo with all cats in place, the cabin noise was nice and quiet, but outside it still had the gorgeous dugga dugga noise.

It cost me 345 quid from scoobysport and was fitted on Jan 26th and has done barely 500 miles so is as new.
If your interested i could do it for £260 including courier delivery to your house.

My email is callan@wray.ndo.co.uk if you want to get in touch there,

cheers, cal
Old 10 February 2004, 08:23 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

...try a GrpN backbox from TSL !! --> nice and rumbly, but doesn't drone and doesn't scream

I have the twin-pipe version for added Stealth
Old 10 February 2004, 09:12 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

As we manufacter them we can make them as quiet as you want which out the added problem of resticting them to much.

Ian
Old 10 February 2004, 08:22 PM
CONGEO
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for all your opinions . I am very tempted, but would be interested to see if anyone has an answer to the Prodrive/Scoobysport question as this was my other consideration.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:22 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I have had the prodrive BB and then fitted a old SS BB which made it a deeper sound which i liked, but i now have a SS BB, magnex centre and T.S.L group n downpipe, which sounds awesome with a full bespoke custom Ecutek re-map.

James.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:24 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, if you are only getting a BB in my opinion get the oldish style scoobysport one over a prodrive one.

James.