induction trouble & spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2004, 03:17 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question induction trouble & spark plugs

Hi,
I gave the car to a mechanic a week ago to put a new rocker gasket in. Simple job I could have done it my self. However since the job there's been alot of smoke coming out from the engine bay and also a noise, some kind of wine. This turned out ot be a nearly empty p/s tank. Sorted now but need to locate a steering pump for a MY96 WRX jap import. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. The seal is gone. Could I get a repair kit? The smoke was due to residual oil on the exhaust. Anyway this empty tank made me suspicious about my recent service so I looked a bit further. I took the induction gear off and all bolts holding on the rocker cover were in place and tight and he seems to have done alright. But I found a few things.
Firstly, in the induction gear, after the sensors and before the turbo, in what I think is a resonance chamber there is a little nipple on the outboard side, lower end of the box. There is a tube clipped onto this leading to a wee brassy type vertical cylinder. Now the nipple was broken off and the tube was swinging free. What's this setup for? Is it a differential for a dirty air filter?
Secondly, the caps over the spark plugs were lose and these I tightened up. How do they come out? I took one bolt out and tried to pull the cap off but had no success. Is it just a matter of pulling harder?

Murfs
Old 05 February 2004, 03:57 PM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

Contact Grade A subaru for second hand steering pump.
Had similar problem on mine - the smoke is the power steering fluid burning off when the engine is hot. Also got a whine when power steering fluid low - keep it topped up until new pump fitted otherwise may lose all powersteering and you will need arms like popeye to turn the wheel.

As for the resonator box, the rubber tube is connected to the boost solenoid which needs to be attached to the nipple.

Otherwise you may find problems with low boost.

Im not sure about the spark plugs.
Old 05 February 2004, 04:10 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Resonance box

Thanks Mal26. I fixed up the nipple, used some plumbers plastic weld paste. Did the job very nicely. I wanted to post some pitures but have not yet got the facility.
Cheers
Murfs.