Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

KN57i for a STI IV

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2001, 01:15 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, having purchased a KN57i kit of the bbs I now find that it doesn't fit my STI IV quite correctly..

Is there a proper kit for the STI... Main problems are..

1. The replacement hose is too small on the MAF end.

2. The flange and cork gasket used between the MAF and KN filter do not align up the bolt holes and is some way out.

3. The diameter airway of the flange and cork gasket between the MAF and KN filter is tight, it is just big enough but there is no comfort room..

Saying that its all in but I've used the original ducting between the inlet manifold and the MAF.. hence its very tight..

Anybody with engineering facilities fancy making up some ally tubing or flanges for the appropraite amount of cash ?

Cheers
Old 08 September 2001, 06:02 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I fitted mine to my UK the other day. The instructions aren't great so here goes.

1)The fittings are all quite tight as air cannot be allowed to leak anywhere. Is it really tight? the fat end goes on the maf and the thin end goes towards the inlet manifold into the original tubing.

2) Mine wasn't spot on but as long as you have a seal all the way round the gasket face it will be ok. I had to force the screws through, thus enlarging the holes.

3) As long as the airway is not restricted it will be fine.

Hope this helps in some way?!

MB
Old 08 September 2001, 06:08 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Where did you fit your cold air pipe? I have an undertray so it wont fit out the bottom. Still not fitted it yet!

MB

Old 08 September 2001, 08:22 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the airbox arrangement on an STI is different from a UK turbo.

There is no way that the replacement ducting will fit onto the MAF as the diameter of the opening on the MAF is about the same as the external diameter of the replacement ducting.

Also I notice that the STI doesnt have a rochester valve as indicated on the instructions and chiarks site..

Currently the KN filter is placed next to the opening in the wing where the air is drawn in, there appears to be no cold air pipe as such supplied with the kit.

Sounds like I'll have to have some custom ducting made, any offers out there ?