Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Prodrive Exauast

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 06:26 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just a quick one, I have the option of getting a Prodrive BB and Centre section, is the Prodrive centre section different from OE (i have a MY99) and where are the cat/cats on my car? ie am I removing the cat by addidng a prodrive centre? or is it at the front??

any help would be appriciated as i may be buying at weekend..

cheers
Old 06 September 2001, 06:41 PM
spr
Scooby Regular

Wink

there are two cats 1 on the downpipe and 1 on the center. It is vital that you buy the downpipe. I bought the SS whole system and the difference is huge. I can send you photos of the orginal downpipe it has a large constrictor from the Turbine to the downpipe, and I also have numerous photos from when they were fitting the SS system .

Best Regards
Steven
Old 06 September 2001, 06:48 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Do you mean vital as in it wont fit the original or vital cos of the improvement? I was going to get a downpipe eventually, prob a scoobysport or something...

Leon
Old 06 September 2001, 06:49 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The standard centre section has a cat this is used to pass the EEC cold start emissions tests. By replacing it you will be able to pass the MOT.
The Backbox has no cats so just changing that is fine.

A downpipe will remove the last cat and you will have MOT issues unless you put the standard one back again before the test, or can find a catless friendly MOT tester.
A downpipe may also affect your engine warranty, so be aware if the warranty is important to you.

A downpipe will increase the noise significantly, but will also make the car rev freeer and improve pickup. AFIK prodrive do not make a downpipe

The centre section and backbox will have a similar effect, but to a much less extent than the down pipe. I reckon about 5-10Bhp increase with just these two. You will improve the noise, make it louder but not intrusively so.

My advice would be, go for the centre section and backbox and see how you go. Get along to a few meets where you can hear/ride in a fully decat car and make a decision based on that. I don't think you'll have any issues fitting a scoobysport downpipe to a prodrive centre section, but check just in case

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 06 September 2001).]
Old 06 September 2001, 07:07 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

cheers for replying so quick..

just searching the board for info on the prodrive exhausts.. seems to be a mixed response, some even say its no better than the OEM.

First choice for me would be a scoobysport but as I can get hold of a prodrive BB and Centre for less than half the price of a Scoobysport BB I think I should go for the prodrive..

any comments??

cheers
Old 06 September 2001, 07:44 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Decidied.... sod it going for it, its going to be better than my standard exhaust system and the sound will be better aswell, cant argue at the price..

the first of many mods no dought

Leon
Old 06 September 2001, 10:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leon, don't know your exact source of the Prodrive bits, but I believe there are at least three different Prodrive backboxes - maybe more - an oval one available separately, and two round ones - P1 and the one fitted to the PPP. I have the latter on MY00 and think it is very good - it seems very well made and personally I like the sound but some people find it a bit whooshy. However it is very quiet, and from what folk have said certainly an improvement if your car is modded already - eg PPP without the exhaust bits is not as quick. The PPP centre section seems to be just an STi decat version with resonator type thingies and again is one of the quieter options. Certainly even with a newly fitted Falkland DP today, the PPP centre and BB combo seems to keep the noise in check very nicely. If you want a nicer/louder noise you might be better going for Scoobysport BB.

Forgot to say, part of the noise benefits of the Prodrive BB and centre may be a slight restrictiveness. However, I think the compromise is well judged, and with PPP DP and K&N my car now feels in the same ballpark as an unmodded STi or P1 - and VERY torquey indeed.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 06 September 2001).]
Old 08 September 2001, 02:18 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Had the Prodrive back box fitted the centre section was exactly the same as my current so didnt bother fitting, Ive had a thought... could I leave the OEM Centre section in (retaining a cat) and replace the downpipe? giving me more power but keeping legal?

If thats not possible is it worth getting a centre? and if so which one, I have heard that a Magnex with resonator is only about £80

cheers

Leon

P.S my source was just someone off scoobynet selling the bits, paid £140, think it was an ok price.

[This message has been edited by LeonWells (edited 08 September 2001).]
Old 08 September 2001, 04:17 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

Hi leon, i suggest your best option is to leave your std downpipe alone, if your worried about the MOT. You can fit a centre section to remove the main cat, which should give you a healthy inccrease in power. I know that Scorpion do this, costs around £100. this will fit between the downpipe and prodrive rear box. If your interested i have contacts and might be able to get one cheaper.
Old 08 September 2001, 07:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leon I would just double check the centre pipe you've bought. If it is off a PPP it is an STi pipe and whilst it looks the same/similar to the OEM one, it actually does not have a cat, but a resonator instead which externally looks the same. This will give you more power and you will not need to buy a new centre section. Some folk have passed MOTs with just the centre cat, so a decat DP is another option, using you OEM catted section.
Old 08 September 2001, 07:36 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

i know it seems strange that off a car thats had PPP the centre is standard... but there is a resonater mid way down (pipe is a bit thicker) and then at the end which joins to the Downpipe there is a much wider box (ie the cat), the guys at the garage seemed to think it was the same

I will double check again tho...

Leon

Il take a photo and post it here maybe