K&N cone fitted... Odd noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 01:33 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Got it fitted lasn night, only took an hour!

I have a dump valve fitted (now sold so coming off tonight) and im getting some odd noises from the filter. Accelarating is fine, it sucks pretty hard (oo er :eek

But, when on boost and you let off the gas it makes a loud noise. Quite hard to describe but sound like when your iron lets off steam - only louder. I've had one of these before and this doesn't sound normal. Almost like a chattering noise.

Also, I can't find where to put the cold air hose - mine has an undertray so it won't fit out the bottom. Help!

MB

Old 04 September 2001, 01:53 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

the noise is normal. it is just the dump valve venting the pressure back out through the air filter. It has always happened, you just notice it more now cos you havent got an airbox to mask the sound. There is nothing wrong.

Why are you removing your dumpvalve? all imprezas have them as standard to protect your turbo. Removing it will remove this protection, but wil also change the noise you get on lift off.
Old 04 September 2001, 02:18 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Adam, im putting the original DV back on, (I know why its there).

Do you think the noise from the filter will go once I put the old DV back on? The one I have at the mo dumps to atmos so there is no air going back to the filter.

I was also wondering if it was something to do with the pressure in the blanked off section - return to the filter.

Any ideas on the cold air hose?

MB
Old 04 September 2001, 03:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first time I ever heard my dump valve (std) on MY00PPP was when I fitted K&N. I am hoping once the DP goes on that the noise will be more "rounded" - bit more guts, but less induction noise. Still can't decide if I like the K&N noise, but it really goes well so as others have said - it is staying on - despite the wife's protests. Just wait till she hears this DP
Old 04 September 2001, 11:37 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried the new K&N filter system they are advertising (not actually sure if it's on sale yet). From the pics in the advert, the cone filter goes through the inner wing and has a sealing plate to fill the hole. I guess this puts the filter inside the wing where it will get the normal cold air feed...