Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

NF Race Formula

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2001, 03:28 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using NF with Shell SUL in my MY95 WRX mixed at 1ml per litre. Car has not run properly when cold since using it, and it takes about 10 miles to clear.

I tried filling up with the SUL on it's own and the car went fine, so the problem does seem to be related to the use of the NF.

Has anyone had similar problems or can anyone suggest what I might be able to do to resolve it ? (Other than stop using it or going back to Millers).

Thanks everyone

Ken
Old 31 August 2001, 04:14 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Not knowing what is going on, it would be difficult for anyone to comment.

What exactly do you mean by running badly from cold?

I have been using nf for some time now, and have never seen a problem.

Millers was working fine, but nf worked out cheaper,

and having seen a turbo after using millers, although not harmful at all, I don't want a build up of some manganese compound on the inside of my turbine, and other engine parts.

How conclusive have your tests been to suggest that the nf is the only factor?

Just seems odd that you can pin point it so accurately.

Did you do a reset each time you changed fuel over? (disconnect battery for twenty mins or so)

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 04 September 2001).]
Old 02 September 2001, 01:40 PM
nitro
Scooby Regular

Ken
Hmmm So you have a prob using NF booster.
If you are only using 1 ml then its more than a fuel problem.
How many miles has your car done.??????
Sounds like your car is in a real need of a few things being checked.
As you are the first person to say its not running as good then you DO have a mechanical problem check it out.
Old 03 September 2001, 12:53 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Ken

Do a reset if you think you had a bad batch of fuel a few tankfuls ago, the ECU on a MY95 WRX doesn't adjust up very quickly, if at all.

Also when was the last time your car had a 'damn good run'? I say this as lots of short runs can make the car run lumpy.

Justin
Old 03 September 2001, 07:44 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Chaps

Thanks for the replies.

My car seems to be spluttery and is missing from cold. It has done 60000 miles and has recently had a 60k service and a new set of coil packs.

It was running great before I started using the NF, but I guess this could be just a coincidence.

I am going to run the fuel that's in it then refill with Optimax on it's own to recheck that it goes OK without the booster. If it does then I'm baffled, if not then it's going in to get checked out.

Thanks again

Ken
Old 03 September 2001, 08:46 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Ken...

Sorry to hear your having problems with NF, I've always used Millers or Silkolene Pro Boost. I was going to try the NF Street Formula but decided to stick to a brand I knew, Silkolene seems to suit my 95WRX but it's quite costly.
I was paying £10.95 a tin but just found a place selling it for £7.99 a tin. Mmmmm Zoomtime..

I wonder if it might be worth you adding some Fuel Injector Cleaner in what you have in your tank. I've had problems with Coilpacks in the past as you know and when I had splutter probs afterwards I put that down to Dirty Fuel. I put a bottle of Injector Cleaner in as a precaution and she's running o.k. now.

Hope you get your problem sorted.

Neil
Old 03 September 2001, 09:07 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I am beginning to think that I have had some bad fuel somewhere along the line, but I've had a couple of tankfuls through from a garage I know is OK - my brother uses the same one and has had no problems, only 1 SUL pump - how long does it take to recover from a bad tank ?

I have used injector cleaner in the past but I thought the likes of Millers was supposed to keep things clean. I put a bottle of Street Formula through before using the Race Formula as recommended to clean the fuel system but I might have got some dirt in after this. I'm using Optimax now and this is supposed to clean things up so I'll see what happens after the next tankful.

Maybe I got a bad tank at the time I put the NF in, and the fact that it seemed to improve when I refilled without the NF is down to the fact that the next tank wasn't so bad.

Cheers

Ken
Old 03 September 2001, 10:33 AM
nitro
Scooby Regular

Ken
Im sure it is very coincendental as i have to admit that you are not the FIRST person to have a reported problem,
We have had 4 others besides your one.
On further investigation it was a mechanical problem which was retified and they are still using NF and are more than happy and using minium dosage rates.
Im very anxious to find out what your problem is?
Ken E mail me at nitrous@iinet.net.au ill give you some more suggestions
Old 03 September 2001, 01:48 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Justin

I did do an ECU reset over the weekend and I think the car is running a little better than before, but still not right. It still feels as if it has bad fuel in it, seems to have the hiccups at times.

As for a good run, most of my journeys are about 20 miles a time going to and from work. This involves some 30 zones, some A roads and some motorway.

The last time it went any further was about 3 weeks ago - 120 mile round trip.

Thanks

Ken