Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPP + DP with or without catted centre section - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2001, 11:53 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

MY00 PPP with K&N induction kit soon to add ?Falkland DP. The question is which centre section-

1. the PPP decat one or
2. the original one that came with MY00 - ie catted

If I go for 2 will there be less noise, and what sort of change in performance compared with 1? Is the catalyst in the centre pipe going to last longer by being on the car and used rather than left in the attic for two years until I do an MOT which I hope to just pass on the centre section? If I put the OEM catted section in after a DP will I likely get any gain over the stock PPP setup - I guess I will as most of the restriction is likely to be in the DP? Option 2 would be nice as it would mean no faffing about come MOT time, and I could just preserve legality? Also any risk of damaging the centre section cat by running on catless DP long term?

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 03 September 2001).]
Old 03 September 2001, 02:53 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only difference will probably be noise. The cat in there is not that restrictive... Im sure the mid cat would be more stressed with the top one removed but its easier to replace that than the DP if it fails the MOT.

Mine passed on just the DP one, but will put the mid back on for MOT (wrapped up in garage)

Having said that, you won't be happy until youve replaced the lot! and its only £80 ish for a magnex with a resonator...

MB

Old 03 September 2001, 02:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So are we saying that the midsection cat could be damaged by not having the DP cat in (which I would not want), or that it will not work as well (but may pass an MOT)? Would the magnex be considerably less restrictive than the PPP midsection? How many BHP are we talking?
Old 03 September 2001, 03:32 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will have to work harder as it normally just mops up the residuals. i believe the P1 only has mid cat so its not too much to worry about. Wouldn't have thought it would be damaged though.

Have a look at the Dyno section as there may be some before and after comparisons with the mid section.

As for comparison between pipes, not much diferece in performance as its straight and the same bore. Only reason I went magnex is I have used them before. Also the resonator quietens things down a bit.

Regards,

MB