Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

gearbox warning !!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2001, 03:02 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure who you were talking to but 2nd and 5th gears are common problem gears on a Subaru gearbox. The problem you mentioned sounds like the typical bend all the teeth on the main shaft trick. This problem is created due to the amount of torque transfered from the high rev fourth to fifth gear change.
Old 29 August 2001, 12:21 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If your 5th gear keeps falling out when not under load ( ie when you ease off the throtle ) get it sorted immediately ....
This happened to my my2000 while heading for a ferry to go to France on hols. for a week. By mid week Reverse dissapeared (great fun and games that is , try not using reverse in places you know on the correct side of the road , then imagine our delight )with very few and tin pot dealers in france , we had to wait untill we were home to get it sorted .
It aparrently "happens" now and again when a bolt comes loose (half hour job) I ended up with virtualy all new gears , and syncros. bearings etc etc , my dealer TNS were kind and only charged 24 hours labour , but even so it was the thick end of 2grand . great !!

am trying to get some compensation at the moment as the car is 18 months and 23000 miles old and not abused !!

To add insult to injury , we've had the car back for less than a week and some cretin joy rider with police in hot persuit used the rear bumper and tail light as brakes so its now in repair again !! to realy rub salt in he was driving a bright yellow Haiundai Accent what a joy ride indeed !!!!
Old 29 August 2001, 10:07 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you should not have had to pay n e thing as it should of been done under a warranty. the nut holding 5th gear comes loose but at the worse it scores up all the casings ive never heard of any one having to have new gears etc etc and if it was that bad why did they not warranty a new gear box

submannz where did you get your info for bending the teeth as 5th and 4th use different synchros and ive never heard of that problem either
Old 29 August 2001, 10:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that's what you get for buting a car abroad, (if you did)
Old 30 August 2001, 01:25 AM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Wink

Of course I bought (but ? ) it abroad, I'm not completely insane , though recent events may be changing that .
I don't know which nut or bolt came loose, but the problem only became major because of the mileage delay .

ps Hope it doesn't happen to your "British" Scoob when it's tree years and one day old !!!