Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Piston Slap Warranty Fix - Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2001, 02:22 PM
IAN LOVETT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My 32,000 mile Terzo will be going in for the MY 98 piston slap to be fixed under warranty soon (new No4 piston). I’m wondering if it’s worth asking for the clutch plate to be changed at the same time as I assume it’s an engine out job to do the pistons. I’ve heard the P1 clutch has a nicer feel (the one I tested certainly did) would this be a safer bet? My current clutch is OK with just a hint of judder at the biting point which is about half way up the pedal travel. Has anyone had any experience along these lines?
Old 22 August 2001, 02:42 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian,

Just had piston slap fixed on my car (MY98) at 45,000 miles. Had the clutch, flywheel, cover & release bearing changed at the same time.

As you say, the engine has to come out for the piston change so my dealer didn't charge any extra for the clutch swap.

Although the piston and labour's covered under warranty, IM wouldn't consider covering the clutch etc. due to the mileage so it cost me the best part of £400 in parts - at least I got SIDC discount!

Dealer kept the parts to one side for me - there was only another 10,000 miles on the clutch so I was glad to get it done when I did. Saved the £300 (ish) labour charge to fit a clutch if I'd waited another few months.

I'd recommend that you ask your dealer to approach IM re your clutch etc. they might be more inclined to help as 1) your car's already booked in for warranty work & 2) it's a lower mileage.

Dealer told me that they fit the P1 type clutch as a matter of course now.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 22 August 2001, 02:45 PM
geoffn
Scooby Regular

Just had both replaced on mine, the dealer should fit the P1 bits as a matter of course.Mine had a std clutch at 28K which lasted 12K, no problems with warranty when I went back at 40K with 1 week left to run. Got a new turbo as well - very pleased with dealer & warranty !
Old 28 August 2001, 12:59 AM
IAN LOVETT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I'll get the clutch plate done at the same time as the piston fix. Is the P1 clutch just a different plate or are the cover and release bearing different too?
Old 28 August 2001, 01:16 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Ian, its just a different/stronger cover plate.

Had mine done at the same time as the sshort engine change. Just the cost of the parts was the problem.

Dan
Old 28 August 2001, 01:41 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Also, consider changing your cam belt (or whatever gets changed at 45,000) My friendly dealer suggested this and saved me the labour costs.