Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Handling or Power

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2001, 10:02 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have £1500 to spend, should I go with suspension or electronic boost/fuel systems or Bob Rawle?
Old 26 August 2001, 11:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on what you are starting from and what you are going to use it for - eg fast road or track. For a recent UK car for fast road use, if you have had geometry +/- bumpsteer done, along with making sure your discs/brake fluid in good nick and changing the pads +/- discs, I would add a bit to the engine since the car can easily handle a fair bit more power.

Some folk have fitted Eibach springs with good report, without too much deterioration of ride quality. 17" wheels are also highly rated and allow some really nice brake setups to go underneath them. What tyres do you run?

Other suspension options include Prodrive kit, Leda B or C, both of these also changing the dampers. A lot of folk report that on STi models in particular it is worth upgrading the suspension as it is not ideally setup for UK roads.

If you are going the engine route, consider induction mods and decat exhaust in addition to boost controllers/remapped ECU as they will extract the biggest gains.

On MY00 UK spec I have fitted PPP with trendous effect for £1763, and added K&N induction kit. Soon to be adding downpipe, grooved discs, Toyo Proxes T1-S on 16" OEM wheels. Already have Prodrive geometry settings and Mintex 1155 front pads.

Few more details of your car and what you are looking for and I'm sure folk will share their experiences with you.
Old 27 August 2001, 07:35 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Can do you a GEMS ECU installed and mapped for £1450!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by alanjack:
<B>I have £1500 to spend, should I go with suspension or electronic boost/fuel systems or Bob Rawle?[/quote]

Old 27 August 2001, 10:48 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

What do I get for my cash then (in detail)
Old 28 August 2001, 08:37 AM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

System is fully mappable for
Fuelling
Ignition
Boost - closed loop control i.e set target boost at rpm sites in 400rpm increments.
Idle speed control
Accel fuel enrichment
Individual cylinder fuel addition-to protect No.4!!
Individual cylinder ignition advance.

99my versions on also have mappable water injection and control over the electronic centre diff if you have this.

For the money I would also fit an Inlet Air Temp sensor in the manifold to control ign advance at high temps.You can also fire the Intercooler water spray off this signal as well when the air temp reaches say 35C.

Typically aim to get 35% incr in torque.
I've done all versions and run a Ver4 Type R rally car with a system. This is making 310ft.lb of torque at 3900rpm with a 34mm restrictor!

Did CARMAN's RA - sprint car - came 1st in class last week.

Will come and do it at premises if you want -takes a full day to get a good map.
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by alanjack:
<B>What do I get for my cash then (in detail)[/quote]