Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Need Some Help From The Boffins - Bad Day At The Rolling Road !

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2001, 01:19 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the wastegate actuator shaft hasn't got any slack in it. It's not uncommon for them to go slack. If it is loose, remove the turbo heat shield, undo the clip, and take up the slack. DON'T over do it, or you'll get very bad over boost.

Also check all the boost hoses for signs of oil. If they do look oily, clean them, and the solenoid with brake, or carb cleaner.

Mark.
Old 19 August 2001, 12:01 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

Apologies if any post has covered this before:

But I was at the RR today and left more than a little deflated.

BHP = 219@6860rpm but torque=170ft/lb@4303rpm

MY00 running on 97ron SUL bog standard (no mods)

Car started at 0.7bar boost, and was increased to 0.9. Initial bhp on first run was 212, and torque in the region of 178lb/ft but way up @7000rpm.

The operator couldn't get it any higher but he knew that it should be up around 210-230ft/lb. He was giving a distinct vibe that my donkey was not well.

If any "power" seeking boffins have any advice, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

Err...except if it's telling me to buy a new engine

Thanks

Sul

BTW My mate brought his MY00 With K&N Induction Kit and BPM Exhaust and made 220bhp and 218lb/ft. Which IMHO ruled out faulty equipment or operator error.

[This message has been edited by Sul (edited 19 August 2001).]
Old 19 August 2001, 12:20 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

check all the hoses from and into the seloniod. i have heard of a car doing the same thing and it was found that one of the hoses from the soleniod had a very tight clamp and there for stopping the soleniod from achieving the right boost pressure.

sam
Old 19 August 2001, 05:51 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Thanks for replies guys, checked everything, but all seems well in these areas.

Could still do with suggesstions

Mark
Old 19 August 2001, 07:51 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

what car is it ? and what MY ? did you buy second hand, has it always been like that.

it maybe the restrictor is block ? there should be one fitted in the turbo outlet hose

sam
Old 20 August 2001, 01:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles you got on the clock?? if the car is still in the low k's then it may just be that she's not run in properly or the next step is reset the ecu?
The engines on scoobs are tight to around 8-9k, mine was but now shes running great the only other thing is to take her to the dealer and get her checked out completely, see if they can find anything wrong with her

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 20 August 2001).]
Old 20 August 2001, 01:57 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to be the one to state the bloody obvious but..... you have read this thread also currently in this forum???....
Old 20 August 2001, 02:03 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

How about a broken primary cat brick blocking your d/p?.

Have you had your car on a Select Monitor?

Cheers,

Alex

Old 20 August 2001, 07:12 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

Some Further Info :

MY00 Bought in Holland so no warranty, and 11k on the clock.

Boost was checked and monitored during a run maintaining 0.9bar.

I dont know if the car has always had such low torque, never rr'd it before, however I must say it never felt underpowered, though I do suffer this feckin 2.5k rpm and above hesitation.

My dealer (who is undoubtedly the best of the bunch) thinks I am imagining it, and cant find anything when they plug it in. They also quite quickly produced the IM/Subaru UK white paper on the "phenomenon" and used that as a way out. Unfortunately, I cant really hammer any one because I bought in cheapo style and am now paying the price.

Another problem, is I live in Northern Ireland, and there arnt exactly loads of scooby garages or peeps that know the score with them.

I have checked all the pipes externally many times, and I have checked the wastegate actuator. All seems in order.

Is there any way the rr could give false results if the run was done in a wrong gear or other variables were not specified right.

One other bit of info that may indicate the problem is that when the car had it's first run it was getting only 210bhp and 178lb/ft. at 0.7bar.

The operator then used a flat blade screw driver to do something in the vicinity of the turbo/wastegate actuator - didnt see what it was.

The next run gave 0.9bar 220bhp but torque dropped to 170ft/lb.

BTW boost pressure was measured at the manifold inlet.

In my pigeon knowledge - does this suggest that everything is well in the turbo camp?. And that the problem must lie down the line a bit?

Thanks again for help and suggestions, and I have read every BBS article I think sounds relevant to this problem, or I would'nt have posted mine.

Mark
Old 20 August 2001, 10:10 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Mark
Have you done many miles or a reset since switching to Super? might just take time to adjust to the better fuel?

Andy