Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport backbox / driveshaft problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 02:04 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my wobbly Falkland Performance downpipe fixed today (UK MY98), by fitting a bracket to secure it to the chassis.

However, when the car was up on ramps, the fitter noticed that the Scoobysport backbox (the 'U-bend' bit) had been rubbing on the driveshaft, which does worry me somewhat.

There's about an inch clearance, but with the backbox being rubber-mounted, there is some movement.

Has it been fitted incorrectly (3 years ago ?!) Anyone else noticed this ? Has it caused a problem ? Pete care to comment ? This is in no way a dig, I've been supremely satisfied with the product for the last 3 years.
Old 16 August 2001, 04:06 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have had back boxes permanently touching the rear diff and parts of the contral tunnel for ages now.

My old exhaust unit showed signs of hitting the diff during extremes of movement and also occasionally the driveshaft. It hasn't caused a problem whatsoever, so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I had mine readjusted by hayward and scott some time back as there was a knocking noise when driving over dodgy road surfaces. Had I heard nothing, I wouldn't have bothered getting it sorted even if it had been knocking.
Old 16 August 2001, 04:09 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony

I have seen this on three other Imprezas, over the years, but if its an inch away, it should be fine.

It may have contacted if the car has bottomed out, say on an unmade road with a high central crown, or on a severe speed hump. In both cases, it is most likely the centre section would have hit the road and raised the whole thing allowing contact.

Please call me if I can be of any help.
Old 16 August 2001, 10:46 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info guys.

Pete, I think your explanation is probably correct - the centre section does show some signs of grounding (I have lowered suspension and have to take great care over speed humps!) and I saw the effect it had on the backbox when the fitter moved the centre pipe.

Many thanks for the prompt reply which has put my mind at rest, and thanks for a top product !

Tony