Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lagging a downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2001, 12:55 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Is there any audible benefit in lagging a scoobysport downpipe (benefit in a less-noise-kind-of-way)
I see some folks have done it and mine'll have to come off when I get the PPP so I thought I could lag before it goes back on again
Old 10 August 2001, 01:06 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might dampen the sound a bit, but beware of the excess heat it will trap: downpipe wrapping seems to be a hot (no pun) topic in the US turbo Saab BBS and some have reported cracking joints or failed turbo bearings due to the excess heat. Probably not worth the effort.
Old 10 August 2001, 01:54 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i have had it done when i fitted the turbo, it has been there for a year now, with no problems. look of this way, all the rally cars have their exhaust and manifolds wraped so it must be good for something.

as regarding the noise i found replacing the back box to a quite one made the whole system quiter. try you OEM back box and see.
Old 10 August 2001, 03:42 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sam E said: "try you OEM back box and see"

Ha ha - he can't as it's in my garage!

Si, you can buy it back for, ooh £35

Looks like you're going to have one sorted machine very soon: 17" wheels, bigger brakes, PPP - very nice!

Take care in the air!
Steve
Old 10 August 2001, 05:40 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

steve
i meant for experimentation purposes. i thought my car is just going to be loud and i will have to live with it. the back box was bought first and then downpipe and then midsection, kind of thing. every time i added something it got louder. around xmas time i had a long trip to make so i fitted the standard back box and to my surprise the car sounded like a standard car.even the down pipe got quiter !!!. so i sold my back box ( blitz) and got a magnex and now the car is slightly louder than standard but very very quite at cruise, just the way i like it.

i hope i did not bore anyone with my little story

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 10 August 2001).]
Old 10 August 2001, 07:08 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sam, not a boring story at all - worth knowing in fact as I do a lot of long distance motorway stuff and am thinking of upgrading the exhaust on my MY98 as funds allow. Always worth learning from someone who's been down the same route. Cheers for the info.

Si - sorry, but we seem to have hijacked your post!

Viewers - we now return you to our scheduled programme!

Steve
Old 11 August 2001, 06:13 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Might there also be a performance advantage to lagging? i was reading this months porsche world and in that is a bit about a 585bhp 996 turbo. part of the upgrade for that car are thicker stainless steel exhaust manifolds designed to retain heat. This apparently accelerates the flow of exhaust gases.
Simon id be really interested to see how you get on with a scoobysport d/pipe with the ppp. i took mine up to prodrive recently to have it fitted and the technician who did my car was saying it was the best further preformance upgrade you could do. thing is i dont want to sound like something from santa pod!!
Old 13 August 2001, 12:19 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies guys

spider - it's alright you can keep the old backbox! I'm doing a cost-up at the moment to work out everything I want/"need" (ho ho) and am then going to spend a couple of days driving around the country getting it all fitted!

I fitted a WR backbox first and got a nice noise increase; fitting the downpipe made a huge difference in performance as well as noise. I quite like the noise but after 2 1/2 hrs of it on the motorway tonight it was starting to do my head in a bit.
I drove a PPP'd car the other day and the performance was not much more (if any) above my car with the d/p, centre and bb only a hell of a lot quieter and so seemed a bit less "frantic" than my car. I reckon fitting the d/p after the PPP should make for a nice extra performance increase if only I can deaden the noise a bit.

Love the turbo whistle though........