SS backbox collision

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2001, 11:22 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had a poke under my car this afternoon
I noticed what appears to be rubbing marks on the rear UJ housing just above the backbox pipe.
Has anyone else had this situation ?

Ta
Pete
Old 16 July 2001, 01:05 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Pete,

Long time no hear

I had this very problem except mine seemed to be really Loud around right handers.

The problem lay with the alignment of the two exhaust components. My backbox was Jap Innovation and the centre section was Scoobysport

It took a while to sort it out but basically, due to each component being slightly out, over the length of the exhaust the error was magnified so The backbox was pulling against the centre section and the centresection was trying to push against the rubbers etc etc.The net result was loud knocking round right handers and rumbling under acceleration. This, I was later to learn, was due to the suspension compressing just enough for the UJ to come into contact with the pipe. Not the end of the world, but needed sorting as the contact would eventually wear a hole in my 'Zorst

In isolation, neither part was to blame, just those two bits of metal didn't want to know.

I don't suppose you'd be able to hear any rubbing as i believe that you have all sorts of induction comotion going on in your engine bay

I ended up swapping my centre section for a Jap innovation one, problem solved. I have since sold my Scoobysport centre section and it is fine on it's new host.

Just one of those things i think

I have noticed on other cars, that the gap between driveshaft and 'zorst varies immensley from car to car. The MY01 seems to have about 3-4 inch clearance The UK300 even more, MY99 1-2 inches and MY00 different again. Obviously it depends on which exhaust system is being run, but even between like for like exhausts next to each other at meets, the difference can be astounding

Hope that helps a little.

Cya Soon

MIKEY
Old 16 July 2001, 10:23 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Mikey.

I can't hear any scrapping or such...just the occasional clonk when changing hard from 2nd to 3rd. Marks look pretty recent so I guess the addition of the SS midsection may be causing it.....

Anyway sounds like you had a good 'trip' at the last Midland meet
What are those alloys...they look neat against your shiny DBM paint.
Clear indicators as well...you have been busy

Hope to see you at the next meet.

Cheers
Pete