Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Group N scoobysport downpipe......

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 09:29 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I'm running a de-cat Scorpion straight through system I have been advised that I should now go for a Group N downpipe, which according to my advisor has the blanking plate for the wastegate removed (I think that's what he said )has anyone any advise on this and what effect good or bad it would add to the car
Old 03 July 2001, 08:12 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cheers Martin, I'll give them a ring.
Chris
Old 03 July 2001, 12:54 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Mellow,

from what I understand, the main advantages of the Scoobysport system over other competitor's systems such as your Scorpion system is that it has a 2.5" bore (apart from the downpipe which tapers from 3" to 2.5") as opposed to a 3" bore.

This smaller bore is said to give slightly higher back pressure than a 3" system, thus giving the turbo something to 'push against' thus increasing low down torque and driveability.

Larger bore systems are ultimately likely to give higher outright bhp, but with sacrifces in low down torque which gives you that kick in the back that we all love.

As for the downpipe itself, that just has one large hole which covers both apertures rather than having seperate holes such as the PE/Scoobymania 'twin dump' designs. There are debates as to whether this is more effective or not. Suffice to say, they don't use it on the Subaru WRC car as far as I know.

This is what I have learned over the course of a few weeks after speaking to a variety of motorsport companies and exhaust manufacturers.

Hope this helps mate,

MS.

PS, as your scorpion system is 3", I'm not sure it will be ideal fitting it to a 2.5" downpipe. If you want to stick with the rest of the system, then maybe a PE or Scoobymania twin dump pipe would be better suited as these are both 3" pipes. I'm sure a chat with Mr Croney/Tuckwood/Power will clear things up..

[This message has been edited by Martin J Stirling (edited 03 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 03:06 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

I got a great improvement from the PE T75 downpipe. Have a look at my dyno runs at
Old 04 July 2001, 03:35 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Mellow,

You cars a slow shed - even with resprayed spoiler - i should know i was behind it.

As the old chinese proverb goes...

"You can't polish a turd"

Take off your cap - that drag is worth at least an extra +10bhp.

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 04 July 2001).]
Old 04 July 2001, 03:40 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Jza,
LOL.... as you quite rightly point out, you were behind me
Those bloody tractors wont go any faster will they !
Old 04 July 2001, 09:06 PM
James Auckland
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mellow, are you selling your downpipe?, if so will it fit my 4" Scorpion system
James

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2001, 08:33 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>Mellow,

You cars a slow shed - even with resprayed spoiler - i should know i was behind it.

As the old chinese proverb goes...

"You can't polish a turd"

Take off your cap - that drag is worth at least an extra +10bhp.

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 04 July 2001).][/quote]

What have you got then speedy gonzales????

Mellow was obviously not bothering as he would probably wipe the floor with you!!!!

Michelle.

Old 08 July 2001, 06:29 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

I'll take that as a compliment Michelle....(I'll post the cheque tomorrow )
Old 10 July 2001, 03:47 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

He hasn't even replied, anyway if he does he can email me privately as this thread will only be deleted if it carries on!!

Mellow, I won't brag about other people's drving if I am not impressed by them, but don't let that go to your head, you have a lot to work on

I'll give Jza a run for his money - I'll give him a headstart by driving in reverse
Old 10 July 2001, 11:51 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Michelle....

DOH!!!

I was joking - we met at the last meet and i thought id give him a ribbing. He does have a very quick car.

Thats why i put lots of 's on the thread to ensure he realised i was joking!! Which he did - if you read his reply. You put 's to indicate your joking - ok?

So why have you got all hot and bothered??

Im sure he appreciated your support though. You stand up for him - go on girl

LOL @ Michelle!!

Jza
Old 10 July 2001, 01:36 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Mellow.. how u doing?

so how do the guages look sir?.... hope they were worth missing mikey's superb meet for.

We tried a lot of systems before ending up with the Scoobysport Front and Mid combination. The back pressure seems just about perfect... and they always fit well!

Best of all is the sound..

Obviously, discerning punters add the TSL back box ...

Hope to see you this way soon.

Cheers

Paul
TSL Motorsport
Old 10 July 2001, 02:52 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Paul,hi.
Yea, sorry for missing the meet, I was really up for it but as you know I'm in the middle of organising the Northern Camping trip and it's taken a fair bit of my time so far anyway, I've been wanting to get the rest of the mods done on the car, I've got Nito's Defi's in a centre pod, boost, oil temp and oil press., and a few other incidentals, the cage goes in on Thursday, sump and diff covers (s/steel) on Thursday nite, armourfend tomorrow and I'm going to new 18" anthracites with so3's on Friday (Beechdale Subaru)
I've given the new brake set up some stick and they certainly outbrake the previous set up with no fade, after a good 10 min thrashing around some twiety lanes using braking to the max I felt a slight shake on the steering wheel when brakes applied, possibly very hot do you think ? Anyway, it's not happened since.
Now geometry set up it's great, how I put up with it before I dont know, 4.3 at the rear
Now, what else can I do to the car ? Drummond's ? £900 and my P1 set up for the Drummond's ? (where's dad )
Anyhows, spk soon and I'll be seeing you in the not so distant future.
Chris
Old 10 July 2001, 02:56 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>Michelle....

DOH!!!

I was joking - we met at the last meet and i thought id give him a ribbing. He does have a very quick car.

Thats why i put lots of 's on the thread to ensure he realised i was joking!! Which he did - if you read his reply. You put 's to indicate your joking - ok?

So why have you got all hot and bothered??

Im sure he appreciated your support though. You stand up for him - go on girl

LOL @ Michelle!!

Jza[/quote]

No worries Jza ,

Both he and myself thought you did go over the top despite lots of smilies.........

Didn't get hot and bothered over it!!! I put smilies on mine, but you still interpreted it as me getting upset over it, whereas in fact I wasn't.........

My point is that you don't know Mellow nor does he know you and that comment sounded very cheeky and sarcastic!
Make it a bit clearer next time.

I'll stand up for him, though Mellow still has a way to go before he can drive as fast as me

Anyway, if you are up for a run, give me a shout I will be attending as many events as possible after TSL have finished my car

Michelle

[This message has been edited by MichelleWRX1994 (edited 10 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 05:57 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Question

"This smaller bore is said to give slightly higher back pressure than a 3" system, thus giving the turbo something to 'push against' thus increasing low down torque and driveability"

Er, I've always been under the impression the inlet charge was there for the turbo to push against...

Granted back pressure is important for normally aspirated engines but surely you just want to get the fan spinning as much and as quickly as possible - otherwise why are people removing cats left right & centre?

But it seems to me people are quoting "back pressure" as some kind of mantra for both headers and downpipes....

This post is really just curiosity as to whether back pressure on turbos is a real benefit or urban myth...I know nothing !!!!

Old 10 July 2001, 07:23 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Talking

I reckon to resolve this we need the downpipes, a mechanic and a rolling road. Swap all the D/P's onto one car and test it each time.
Call me fussy, but wouldn't that be the best way to get a truly accurate comparison.

In fact, thinking as I write - all the main suppliers could supply the D/P F.O.C. for testing, and it'd be a D/P shootout session. He who has most bhp/torque wins. Winner sells most and owner of test car keeps one (my idea so my car )
Old 11 July 2001, 09:16 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichelleWRX1994:
<B>

My point is that you don't know Mellow nor does he know you and that comment sounded very cheeky and sarcastic!

[This message has been edited by MichelleWRX1994 (edited 10 July 2001).][/quote]

But i do know him. I met him at a meet and we had a chat about our cars - so my point was supposed to be a joke.

Sorry Mellow old bean.

PS Jeanette thought your P1 sounded the best!!!

Jza
Old 11 July 2001, 09:42 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Blue, considering it can take 2 hours to change a downpipe it may not be feasible !!!
Old 11 July 2001, 06:57 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Ian... how you doing?... still waiting for Dad to pull his finger out and write you that list... Sorry mate!

Knowing "Blue"...i think that was a probably tongue most firmly in cheek.. ... These jovial northeners eh?

Maybe he was just spoilt by watching the speed at which the TSL techies fitted his downpipe ... We keep telling them..."you're not on event now!!!"... but old habits die hard, you know

See u soon

Cheers

trouser
Old 11 July 2001, 07:03 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Paul im fine mate getting itchy feet I spoke to ya Dad on Monday does he need a hand doing the list ?

I should have emphasised the "could" take 2 hours cos i know, no 2 are the same, stripped bolts and stubborn bits ! have seen one done in 40 minutes ! and one take 3 and a half hours !

Old 11 July 2001, 07:32 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

<B> But i do know him. I met him at a meet and we had a chat about our cars - so my point was supposed to be a joke.

Sorry Mellow old bean.

Jza[/quote]

meeting someone and *knowing* someone is very different!

Anyway, look forward to getting Scoob out on a run with you

Ian you think YOU have itchy feet, mine are terrible!!! howdya fancy a taste of paxing in the new improved Little Miss WRX Scoob on the same Scottish stretch - this time it might be a bit more stable Will have trusty Toyos on too

I caused havoc at work with my *meeting* with my manager on Sunday night and am now driving them up the wall with breaking news about wee Scoob

Michelle.
Old 11 July 2001, 07:55 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Michelle, of course !! would love to !

I can imagine how you would have itchy feet !

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 01:31 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mellow

I'll jump on this thread, did you enjoy Croft , I enjoy'd following you for about 5 laps in the morning then we both came in together. I came to say hello and chat about our laps but you were not at your car, you coming back to Croft on the 18th Aug ???

Skip.
Old 13 July 2001, 09:41 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

skip,
Croft was a day wasn't it, bl**dy weather, only found out last week after having all my geometry set up that I was toeing 4.3 at the rear no wonder you were "probably" enjoying watching me from the rear What car were you in ? I was only s'posed to come to Croft that day to watch as I hadn't pre-booked due to a meeting that was then subsequently cancelled but Stef as usual was a gent and got me in.
Can't make the August date as I'm in the States hopefully relaxing and sunning myself, I'm up for any other events along the way though.
Spk soon.
Regards
Chris
Old 14 July 2001, 12:02 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris

I was in a M plate black WRX, I think it was the morning I was following you. Pity you can't make the 18th, but if I had the choice i'd defo be in Sates !!!

Graeme.
Old 15 July 2001, 01:15 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Cool

Standard UK car or even standard STi then hard to beat the Scoobysport downpipe.

More highly tuned cars e.g. Link or Motec will benefit from a "twin dump" approach, I am pioneering the BRD twin dump down pipe and it is very good
Old 16 July 2001, 04:11 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Anders:
<B>Standard UK car or even standard STi then hard to beat the Scoobysport downpipe.

More highly tuned cars e.g. Link or Motec will benefit from a "twin dump" approach, I am pioneering the BRD twin dump down pipe and it is very good [/quote]

How much was the BRD twin? I am considering one of these at the mo.....

It is a stright swap piece from the original down pipe isn't it? Need this to be the case because my down-pipe back straight through exhauset fits this at the mo.