Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2001, 01:02 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a weird problem

I have a 96 UK Turbo with bleed valve, Blitz induction kit and decatted zorst.

When the car is left out overnight (normally it's garaged and there is no problem) when it is started up it runs like ****, almost stalling and hunting up and down the revs. It pops and bangs and kangaroos up the road. Yesterday when it did it, my foot was nailed to the floor, the boost was reading 2psi and the thing was accelerating like a 1.0 litre Micra. Even when you leav it to warm up while stationary, it still does it, but once you have driven, say a mile up the road it goes fine suddenly and after that, it's no problem. Even if you leave it out for 2 or 3 hours to go cold again, it's fine, it's just first thing in a morning.

I thought it could be dodgy ignition leads/coilpacks, but they are fine. The spark plugs are brand new. On a dry day, it runs absolutely perfectly all the time.

Could it be a MAF sensor problem? Condensation may cause it to make the engine run lean until air blows over it as you drive.

Has anyone got a clue?

Rich
Old 09 July 2001, 01:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm tempted to lean towards MAF or lambda sensor problems, as the ECU uses this in partnership with the lambda when off boost... Doesn't explain it suddenly working though, so could it be a dirty lambda sensor, or that the sensor's wiring is cracked/damaged so that it "self heals" when warmed up???

Old 10 July 2001, 10:18 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers

I'll look into that.

Rich