Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Magnex centre on STi 5?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2001, 05:21 AM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,
I was wondering if it was worth putting a Magnex centre, with resonator, on to an STi 5. As I understand it these cars already have no 2nd cat, but a silencer which is restrictive. Also, would the Magnex pipe add any more noise to my system, which has a Prodrive BB.

Cheers
Old 30 June 2001, 08:14 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I replaced my PPP centre (same as the STiV centre) with a scorpion straight through pipe (no resonators - just a straight pipe) and did notice a difference, performance and aural - most Magnex centre sections have resonators in so will offer no gains over the STi pipe, but if you can find one that is just a stright through pipe, then the grin will increase
Old 02 July 2001, 01:25 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Anyone else??
Old 02 July 2001, 01:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

From what I've heard and seen, although the centre section doesn't have a cat, it's still quite restrictive.

Sticking a straight through pipe on should give better performance, and the resonator should keep the noise down a bit.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 02 July 2001, 11:38 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

V5-APS,
The Magnex pipe is 2.5" O/D, the STi5 is 2.4" O/D.
The STi5 has 2 silencers/resonators on it against the single one on the Magnex, so may be slightly noisier.
The Magnex in theory should have th epotential to gain some more power due to its increased diameter.

I have had both on my car, and now have the STi5/P1 centre.

I swapped from STD UK turbo centre to Magnex, no obvious increase in noise or performance, but slightly better mid range torque (very slight), with a SS back box.

Now have a STi5 centre with PPP back box. A lot quieter, no obvious performance decrease, and can still pull 120mph in the wet with Bridgestone RE010's (slow exit from last bend before the straight due to being sideways all the way around the bend) on the back straight at Donnington. So can't be too bad on an otherwise std UK MY00.

As for the STi centre and back box being masively restrictive, compared to after market gear, why are the STi5/P1 so quick, and produce 280BHP?

You CAN gain some increase in power and torque by swapping exhaust bits.
The question is can you justify the cost £ and the inevitable noise increase for what is usually a very small (on the road almost undetectable IMO) gain.

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 02 July 2001).]