Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Confused ... rear diff spec on UK/Europe model ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 12:19 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up until yesterday, I always thought that my car (MY99 UK Spec) has an LSD at the rear...

Talked to my dealer about this yesterday, and he thought it was just an open type, like on the Forester.

I confused him, he confused me, so we looked at the technical manuals, and lo & behold, the rear diff looked exactly like the front one. Only the centre diff had the friction plates.

Can we have the skinny on this one for once and for all ?

Could it be that some people refer to the "rear diff in the gearbox i.e. centre diff) when they talk about a rear diff, hence the confusion ?

Or is there a difference (hum) between Euro spec cars and UK spec cars ? (can't imagine that)

Theo [not sure about anything anymore]
Old 29 June 2001, 01:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

EB
We had a definitive thread on this a couple of months ago - all you have to do is find it.....
Old 29 June 2001, 01:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Theo, dont let it get you down, it handles exactly the same was as it did befoer you took it in to the dealer!

there was a thread on this some time back where people started to get annoyed.

Scoobyboy, and someone else disagreeing.

Then someone posted a scanned image from the manual stating that UK turbos did have a rear (not just centre) lsd.

So the answer is, who knows? it is still in the air.

Better to ask someone like steve lawson (a true scooby god) how many he has seen of either type.
Old 29 June 2001, 02:27 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Theo

Adam's right - it still handles the way it did before!
Old 29 June 2001, 03:15 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Dave Guess I'll have to use that search thingy eh

Adam & Duncan... you are so wrong My car behaved quite differently when I left ... something to do with replacing an open thingamabob in the gearbox with a less slippy thingamabob

That's how the discussion started. His mechanic also claimed he had opened one a few months ago and for him is was an open diff... and I've seen with my own 2 eyes that the manual indeed shows an open rear diff (with the 4 helical looking gears in the middle - sorry, not very technical, I know).

I'm sure there must be at least one person on this bbs that had one open though ?

I thought I had completely misunderstood before (would not be the first time) but all the links, mag articles etc talk about a visco diff at the rear.

Will look up the definite thread Dave talks about ...

Real reason I ask: I'm trying to decide about upgrading the rear diff as well, and wondered my car was now an accident waiting to happen in it's current setup...

Theo
Old 29 June 2001, 03:29 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ignore most of my questions ... the
Old 29 June 2001, 04:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

theo, it makes em laugh to see that you posted on that thread.

I believe your comment was great link!

anyway, you said i am wrong but I cant tell if you are being sarcastic. did they change anything of a differtial type nature on your car whilst it was in the dealers?

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2001, 05:03 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Adam, saw that too to my horror First thing to go is the mind ...

Sarcastic ? Moi ?

The dealer (mostly ? ) fitted an ATB style diffie thingy that I had ordered...

My line of reasoning was that it would hopefully provide a bit more front end grip instead of the rather power-understeery situations I still get myself in. I had tried losts of things (ALK, MRT swaybars, bumpsteer) and they all helped, but up to a certain point (for my driving style).

Putting down the power on a very tight bend (after the apex), I still felt the inside front wheel lost it's composure too soon. Given that I go in a corner like a snail most of the time, and then try to catch up when I go "hey, this corner is less severe then I thought, wahey", I put some power down and the front is pushed wide (which is normal for an AWD).

OK, it became clear to me that I went on the power *much* too soon at MIRA (Don Palmer really brought that one home ), but after driving an Evo ... I knew there was something to be gained there. As far as I was able to test today, it does indeed make a difference, but it may also make the car more dangerous to drive if you chicken out mid corner. More testing & report on that next week - although I would never recommend it to anyone. I'm being very careful because people had warned me offline that it can turn real ugly if you don't treat the car (and the ATB) with the utmost respect.

I told the dealer "it's the only open diff in the car", and that's when I got the blank stare & following discussion. Re-reading the thread above made it clear for me a) that there is indeed an LSD at the rear and b) the reason why Subaru technicians could misinterprete the info.

Again, I'm not a very good driver and a chicken to boot, but maybe SDB will make up a little test report on his findings

Theo
Old 29 June 2001, 07:55 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

at last some one who agrees with me. my argument now is it has to be normal coz if you jack the rear wheels up and turn a wheel the othet turns in the opposite direction but wif it had a lsd the wheels would turn in the same direction.
wheres logiclee on this one?