Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Can someone give a newbie a quick rundown on Subaru Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 11:37 PM
STI-Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im especially interested in Exhaust and Engine mods.

What's all this terminology used like "downpipe's" etc?
Old 05 June 2001, 01:11 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well put Richard, especially point number 1. The bbs does add that extra dimension to owning a Scoob.

STI Man welcome. You could try doing a search on different mods from past posts by clicking on search scoobynet and typing in what you want to search, plus its a great past time too, and there's excellent info as well.

WREXY.
Old 05 June 2001, 10:45 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I agree with hoppy in general except for one thing.

Ap and other brake options are great for the track, but the actual stopping power of the standard brakes is perfectly adequate. Fading them on the road calls for some spirited driving. Longevity is the beauty of such upgrades.

Without doubt the best things to buy for an upgrade are.

1. Octane booster and super unleaded if you can afford it. It gives that little extra piece of mind.

2. Knock link and lambda link.

These items, are available from brdevelopments as mentioned by hoppy. they are safety devices. The knocklink is an indicator which flashes when it detects engine detonation which kills your car. This can come from too low RON ratings, too high air temps atc, and can be fatal.

The lambda link gives an indicator of air fuel ratio. Running lean as in not enough fuel means causes teh engine to run hot which is bad, it also leads to det. It is also an indicator of performance.

For example, if you change the exhaust to a freer flowingitem, you would expect it to run leaner, but too lean, and you are introuble. The lambda link can show you this before it is too late.

It will also show the symptoms of dodgy fuel supply such as blocked filters faulty injectors etc.

In short, before you spend any other money, buy these things.
Old 05 June 2001, 12:03 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Welcome dude

I'm still quite new to this scooby malarchy and I love it. I have found that the best place to get technical info is from the following places:

1)
Old 05 June 2001, 12:40 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
STi Man. I've been hanging around here for a year or so now and have learned a few things. Such as:

1) The Subaru community, especially this BBS, adds another dimension to ownership that I've not experienced outside biking. It doubles, at least, the fun of owning such a fabulous car.

2) A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Tread carefully when it comes to engine mods. Do you have an STi? If so, tread very carefully indeed. Intake and exhaust mods must be balanced with a carefully mapped ECU (bearing in mind the thing is designed to run on 100-plus RON fuel). Bolt-on mods are very tempting, relatively cheap and readily available, but make sure you really know what you're doing. I don't, which is why Bob Rawle (
Old 06 June 2001, 08:16 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

STi Man,Adam an Hoppy have just given you the most sensible advice you can get.D'ont cut corners when modding.If you want more power I would also recommend a chat with BR Developments.Welcome to the Scoobynet!!!!!!!!
Old 06 June 2001, 10:04 PM
STI-Man
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys, its really great to converse with people who share the same interests as oneself.