Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU remap

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2001, 12:43 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam,

Re: "Then there are more expensive ecus such as motec and pectel. But we are talking big money.

If you want to go down that route, from personal experience a brd link is the only way I would go."

Just curious to know... have you sorted out the link problems on your type R yet, or are you still using your old jecs at the moment? Oh, and have you given up on your top line Motec M800/pectel whatever ideas now? :curious:

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 05 June 2001).]
Old 05 June 2001, 08:17 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it possible to remap the standard ECU on a UK car? If so, What is involved? I've heard about Possum links etc. but I know nothing of ECU tuning, other than you can reset it after mods. I'm a pure old school exhausts and filters man, not used to this techno malarchy.

I've heard horror stories about Rechipping but I've done the usual decat exhaust/ induction kit stuff and fitted a bleed valve and I don't want the thing running too lean/rich etc. What can I do?

Advice/ prices etc. greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rich
Old 05 June 2001, 10:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Remapping the standard ecu was done previously by power engineering the form of their phase one conversion.

I am not sure if they offer this service any more, for various reasons. It certainly used to cause heated discussions on this bbs in the past but I will say no more.

Link is a replacement ecu, sold mostly by bob rawle who is famed for his safe mapping.
He is the man to talk to on this subject.

Other options are unichip, which fools ecu into supplying more fuel, when extra boost is generated.

Then there are more expensive ecus such as motec and pectel. But we are talking big money.

If you want to go down that route, from personal experience a brd link is the only way I would go.
Old 05 June 2001, 11:02 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Remapping the standard ECU normally needs a piggyback item.

Power Engineering solder on an extra board to the standard ECU. I thought SuperChips do a similar thing??

The UniChip would also be considered a piggybank item, but it's seperate box that intercepts two of the wires to the ECU and does what Adam says.

The others that Adam mentions are full ECU replacements (?? - Correct me if I'm wrong)

I been talking to a company who can re-write the map on the standard ECU. It would therefore be possible to write the PPP map to a standard ECU. OK you potentially destroy your warranty, but it's not detectable in event of a claim!!

Andy
Old 05 June 2001, 11:33 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Andy, the standard ecu map, is written in some funny code tha can only be read by people like Pat. Infact he was at one stage trying to decypher what it says using a logic analyser?

The phase one did exactly what you are saying. It tweaked certain areas of the "map" and used the rolling road to see how the power was affected. I am sure it is more complex than that, but if that is what you want to try then go for.

I would rather play around with things that are guaranteed to be the fuelling, ignition and boost, rather than random numbers on a map.

Old 06 June 2001, 02:45 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

Presumably the standard and PPP ECU Maps are stored on either a PROM or an EPROM? Soldered or plugged into the PCB??? Anybody know? (very risky but tempting idea up my sleeve if the above is true.... )

Matt
Old 06 June 2001, 02:58 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Andy, just for the record: the Unichip is wired into the harnass, can't remember how many wires are affected, but from memory I'd say at least 10 - more if you use the separate boost controller.

Fuelling, ignition, TPS, RPM, MAP, and optionally water injection/launch control can't be done with just 2 wires

Some values are read only (TPS), other are read from the standard ECU and then adjusted according to the maps and sent out to the appropriate controller (solenoid, injectors etc...)

I haven't heard yet of anyone cracking the Phase II ECU, but then again that may not be public domain knowledge.
Old 06 June 2001, 03:27 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Moray,

just because my link ecu has been probelmatic, does not mean I wish to tarnish the product. I am convinved mine is a rogue, and the problem is being sorted out but not at my expense, so with this in mind, I felt it unecessary to tarnish the reputation of a company that have not let me down.

I do plan to go for a top of the range motec ecu, but made the point that they are big money, which not everyone is prepared to spend, least of all those who would consider remapping the perfectly capable jecs ecu. With this in mind, the most sensible, safe and cost friendly option is in my opinion the link.

Perhaps you would mostly like to unduly slate the products and reputation of the man you will be trusting to map the ecu on your new engine, mostly?

here you go, an open forum?

moray?

anyone?

adler?
bueller?
bueller?
bueller?
bueller?
Old 06 June 2001, 06:43 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

There is a performance shop here in Greece that reckon they re program the JECS but only have a 2wRR. When I asked how do they do it on a 2w RR, they said they do it on the road. I said have a nice day and walked out. One of the workers there said a MY98 got the JECS re programmed but is having pinging (pinking) problems. I walked out shaking my head. Hence my decision to go to Powerstation in the UK for a Unichip in the near future to suit the mods I've done.

WREXY.